StudentsReview :: Santa Clara University - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Females 3
Males 11
Avg years at University 1.6
Research Quality C (5.0)
Research Availability B (6.7)
Research Funding B (7.0)
Graduate Politics B (7.1)
Not Errand Runners A- (8.3)
Degree Completion B (6.8)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] C+ (5.1)
Sufficient Pay C (4.9)
Competitiveness B+ (7.5)
Education Quality B (7.2)
Faculty Accessibility B+ (7.4)
Useful Research B (6.8)
"Individual" treatment B (6.6)
Friendliness B (7.3)
Safety B (6.8)
Campus Beauty A (9.0)
Campus Maintenance B+ (8.0)
University Spending B- (5.9)
Extracurriculars B- (6.4)
Scholastic Success B- (6.5)
Surrounding City B (6.5)
Social Life/ Environment B- (6.0)
Sufficient PayC
Campus BeautyA
If you want to get a STEM graduateMay 05 2017Electrical Engineering
If you want to get a STEM graduate degree, go somewhere else.
To be fair, their computer engineering program is quite decent, but everything else is just not worth it. Almost half of your units will be from random classes that they make you taking but that are completely unrelated to your major and to each other:

8/45 units of "Graduate Core" classes, which include classes like "Software Ethics" or "Sustainable Energy in the Third World".

4/45 units from different specializations in your department.
8/45 units from mandatory classes related with very broad specializations that may or may not connect with your actual interest/focus.

25/45 Classes of your choice. Do not expect a huge variety or really specialized classes. You wont find them. You will only find a bunch of introductory classes in several topics that overlap each other.

Oh, and each unit is about $1000, and you do not even get free parking.

Overall good schoolOct 19 2013Computer Engineering
Overall good school. Hard to get started at for graduate students. Not great at building a social environment to meet people. School is very removed from students for the typical private school, but that is good in some cases. Love the campus and the area. No better value for a graduate program in Computer Engineering.
I am really enjoying my time at SantaMar 22 2012Accounting
I am really enjoying my time at Santa Clara as an MBA student. Even though it isa a part time evening program, it has many full time students. The administrators make an effort to host socials, conferences, and other networking events to benefit the students. The career center is also very active and has an abundance of helpful tips. Overall, SCU has many resources that are available and helpful to their students.
For international students toMar 23 2010Business - Management and Administration
For international students to get an on-campus job requires only 1 quality i.e begging for a job. If you can do that, you can get a good job.Employers for On-Campus jobs are highly arrogant.
Jul 14 2008Unknown
SCU Law: Overall a negative experience.
Great for working professionals with families to pursueJan 30 2008Mechanical Engineering
Great for working professionals with families to pursue their degrees, without much sacrafice to work and family. Class schedules are very early in the morning, 7:10 AM to 9 AM, or late in the evening, after 5:30 PM. Homework problems given are fair and reasonable in the amount of time to do them for working professionals with family. About 80% of my classes have been working professional students. Professors are part-time and generally are managers or directors at their respective companies. Santa Clara University is respected and welcomed in the Silicon Valley companies. I am happy to be a student there so far. It has treated me nicely in terms of giving me a good education while pursuing my career and starting a family.
The class schedule and coursework are very flexibleJan 25 2008Mechanical Engineering
The class schedule and coursework are very flexible for working professionals with families. All classes either start at 7:10 AM to 9 AM or after 5:30 PM. Coursework demands are reasonable for working professionals with families. In my classes, about 80% of them are full-time working professionals, including myself. The professors are mostly full-time working professionals, with some being the director or manager at their companies. Content of the courses are very practical than theoretical, which means you can use what you learn that day at work immediately. Professors don't really "baby" the students by working out problems step by step compare to big universities like Stanford or Berkeley. They treat you as a professional, similar to how your boss treats you at work. They give you general directions on how to approach the problem and you figure out the rest of the steps. So far, my experience at Santa Clara has been a pleasant one and it allows me to balance work and life nicely!
So far, I had a good experience withJan 25 2008Mechanical Engineering
So far, I had a good experience with Santa Clara University. I like the classes being offered either very early in the morning, 7:10 AM - 9 AM or late at night, after 5:30 PM. Number of homework problems given are reasonable for students working full-time and have a family to take care of. The university is very good and I really appreciate it to be thoughtful for working professionals with family. I am able to balance work and life better by attending SCU. The reputation of SCU is not bad in the Silicon Valley. Most of the big corporations hire SCU graduates and give them good ratings. My advice for prospective students are if you have a family and work full time like me and wish to go back to school, SCU is definitely the right choice for you, but if you are a bachelor not working and can afford doing full-time study, I think you can go to SCU, or you can go to Stanford or Berkeley in the bay area. But, I am very happy with my choice.
So far, I am enjoying my experiences atJan 15 2008Mechanical Engineering
So far, I am enjoying my experiences at SCU. The coursework and class schedules are friendly for working professionals with families. Schools like Stanford and Berkeley are geared more toward students who are bachelor's and have time for full-time study. SCU has a good reputation in the silicon valley. Course content are both theoretical and practical, with more emphasize in practice. The students and professors are mostly working professionals in the valley, so you get to learn from them. Tuition are low compare to other private institutions. And, what I like the best about SCU is that the university teaches Catholic morals to students along with knowledge. This is important in being a human being and professionals. All too often bad ethics takes place at the workplace and in society. It is important to be just.
I just finished up my first year andDec 31 2007Mechanical Engineering
I just finished up my first year and enjoyed it at Santa Clara University. The university offers flexibility that is unmatched by any other colleges for working professionals and students with a family. All my classes were either very early in the morning, start at 7 AM, or late at night, start at 5:30 PM. This is great for working professionals and students with families to continue with their career and taking care of their family, while pursuing their degrees. In addition, the instructors and classmates are all or mostly working professionals, so in class, I learn from their practical experiences as well as general technical theories. A lot of hands on lab classes and machine tools that are no longer commonly found in other universites, which helps students to better comprehend the theories. I look forward to my 2nd year at Santa Clara University.
Nov 26 2007Unknown
Can someone tell me if SCU is a well recognized school or not in the country? Can I get a job after graduation?
Terrible administrative system, they neglect to update yourDec 09 2003Computer Engineering
Terrible administrative system, they neglect to update your personal accounts. Too expensive and the school adds a lot of miscellaneous charges on top of the $600/unit tution. Computer Engineering department has poor teachers that are not properly screened. Teachers with no experience teaching and NO PHD teach graduate courses. Teachers don't have office hours and very rarely reply to email in time. Material covered in classes do not challenge students. Material mostly consist of memorization of useless facts rather than practical or theoretical applications in engineering.
Santa Clara University