StudentsReview :: The University of Michigan - Dearborn - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Michigan State University -- East Lansing, MI

The University of Michigan - Dearborn

Total Grad Surveys 5
Females 4
Males 1
Avg years at University 1.4
Research Quality B- (6.2)
Research Availability C+ (5.6)
Research Funding B (6.6)
Graduate Politics B (7.0)
Not Errand Runners B (6.9)
Degree Completion A (9.2)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] C (4.3)
Sufficient Pay B- (5.8)
Competitiveness B- (5.9)
Education Quality C+ (5.5)
Faculty Accessibility B+ (7.6)
Useful Research B- (6.2)
"Individual" treatment A- (8.4)
Friendliness B+ (7.5)
Safety A- (8.5)
Campus Beauty B+ (7.6)
Campus Maintenance B+ (7.8)
University Spending B- (6.0)
Extracurriculars D+ (3.1)
Scholastic Success C+ (5.3)
Surrounding City C (4.4)
Social Life/ Environment D (2.2)
Social Life/ EnvironmentD
Degree CompletionA
My Questions:Oct 24 2017Business - Management and Administration
My Questions:
As per law to be eligible for CPT, I should be lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for one academic year, have a health insurance and a job offer which I do so I am allowed to end an internship and start a full time position irrespective of the time period if both the organizations have approved the same then why is the college not approving?

Reasons given to me are as such : we are running a business I hope you understand and do not want our college to have a bad name, it is the college policy which by the way has not been mentioned anywhere on the college website, we will fail you if you don't abide by it as we will not be able to help you, when mentioned the job is not offered by ICMC so what has ICMC done to help us the response has been we approve your CPT.

Are the policies newly applied? were they applied on Oct 24th 2017? if not then why has the CPT form been approved and asked to be picked up and then dismissed saying you are not offered approval after 2-3 days.

Before accepting my offer I had been to Mary's office to visit her personally to understand the situation where Joan assisted me and did not once say it would be a problem, instead congratulated me for the same.

My Kind Request:

Kindly put the school policy online if there is one so that student stay informed before accepting offer letters and running back and forth.

Kindly stop threatening the students with statements such as "we would fail you/give an E if you leave the position".

Kindly keep the students informed of such policies before granting approvals or stay up to date with policies as well.

I am from CIS and this school isSep 24 2011Computer Science
I am from CIS and this school is great! People just complain about this school. Its definitely not easy to get A+ here.You need to work hard, I did my UG at AA and came for my Masters to this school. I really know the difference. The Chinese and the Indians are hard to compete as they are pretty good with Math.Yeah you find a whole lot of people with previous work experience. In fact this school was started for Ford employees and it was easier. Most of ford employees attend or were Alumni of this school. I got a great break from this school.There are many clubs. You need to be smart enough to utilize them nit just simply complain. People are helpful and most important of all- YOU have ONLINE CLASSES which Ann Arbor doesn't provide!! I work at Ford and most of auto companies especially Ford will pay for tuition if you attend this school. I love it and I do not regret my decision in any ways. A lot of research opportunities are there- especially Ford funded projects.In fact, Microsoft Challenge Cup- One of the finalists were from this school.Special off campus training is provided only for Ford employees. I love this school and yeah it is for people who want to be working and studying. Definitely not a party school like AA. Not but not the least it depends on U to make use of degree. UM-D degree is well accepted and also this school is presently known for CIS and B-School programs. It got 6th rank in midwest regional univs. It is definitely a degree that can make a difference.Proud to be a part of this school.Go blue!!
Hi,Jun 16 2011Computer Science
Hi,
I started first at Ann Arbor and then came to to U of M- Dearborn to save my dollars! To be honest,it's a bad decision. Though,UM-D is way lot better than Wayne state or UM-Flint and most of Engineering programs in UM-D are all recognized by Rackham school of graduate studies but the fact remains: "Ann Arbor is Ann Arbor and Dearborn is Dearborn." No comparison at all!

Here are list of pros and cons:

Pros:
1. Fees is less.
2. Faculty are much easily available than U of M.
3. The program is recognized by Rackham school of graduate studies, Ann Arbor and the degree gets conferred by them.

4. You do not feel one in a million here!
5. Staff too are friendly and helpful.
6. Students are pretty friendly unlike in Ann Arbor.
7. Library though small is quite decent.
8. UC is the best place to hang out.
9. Gym is quite well kept and a good trainer.
10. In general though campus is quarter the size of Ann Arbor is neatly maintained and organized.
11. Plenty of parking space :-)
Cons:
1. Very hard to get employment on campus.- Especially RA's, TA's
2. Campus is way too small than Ann Arbor so you dislike it.
3. Life for Grad student suxs as most of the Grad students are employed full time( usually in the big 3. "Ford" in particular) and classes are all in the evening.

4. Average graduate student has way too much of working knowledge and industry experience. They do the degree for sake of getting promotions at their work. Result: WITHOUT WORK EXP YOU FEEL YOU ARE USELESS

5. Its just impossible to take a transfer to UM-AA from UM-D. So just forget this school if you aim at that.

6. International student population is very less.The majority of them are again from Asia- China & India.

7. The course work at CIS suxs!! You kind of lack options and the Department is "way too small" and "courses are very traditional and old". Nothing new or exciting!

8. I feel they lack infrastructure in most of Engineering buildings. Its high time they renovate it. Some rooms in Science building basement is dark and moist which makes you feel its haunted! The best building with state of art facility is CASL. NOTE: This whole issue was actually complained to the Dean and no action has even been considered.

9.Most importantly, no matter whatever happens, its not a great place when compared to Ann Arbor.
9. Hard to find funding.
10. Phd is ruled out option here!
11.Faculty in general in CIS are not too great except with the Head who has an impressive and outstanding profile.Some professors just know nothing!! You just waste your time with them.

12. They do not offer courses according to your needs or according to the catalog.Due to limited faculty and student population. This is very hard and annoying.

13. This school in general caters to Arab Americans and Ford employees. ( I dunno if its positive/negative).

14. You need to forget dorms as it is a commuter school and need to save to buy a car else you cannot survive unlike Ann Arbor.

15. Cafeteria is pretty expensive and very few choices!!
16. KEEP IN MIND: If you are planning to get a job showing your UM-D degree it would be hard as recruiters no matter what do not consider you as a student from U of M. This is the catch so you need to think before investing $ in degree is it all worth it.

17. Athletic teams are also different, They are called as wolves. :(
18. Research opportunities are very limited.
19. Coz of too many experienced people in class fact remains the same its way too hard to get an A+ when you compete with gifted and people with min 12/13 years of experience in industry. I in fact had a class mate who had 23 yrs of experience in IT!When I applied to this school I couldn't find good reviews about this school to make a right judgement. One last advice if you are flexible with finances and get some external funding please go to Ann Arbor.

First semester graduate studentApr 27 2011Political Science
First semester graduate student. Chose this program because I completed my undergraduate degree here. Don't waste your time on this program. I spent over $2500 this semester for nothing. The Research Methods course is a joke. I learned more as an undergraduate. Other professors believe this course will prepare you for their coursework, and they will grade you this way. Also, the joint program with U of Windsor means you're pitted against "cohorts" who have completed a Master's in Political Science prior to taking classes at Dearborn. There is great divisiveness between Canadians and Americans, perpetuated by the faculty. Your grades will be poor, being graded against "peers" who are ahead of you. You're left to float around, and there is no collectiveness amongst students. There is no funding available for UMD students, but Windsor students receive tuition assistance and waivers for in-state costs. They receive 2 degrees with only 3 more credits than Dearborn students. What is the advantage? Higher class volume, aggressive students, political situations? Count me out
I attended Wayne State University for my UndergradNov 01 2004Education
I attended Wayne State University for my Undergrad and graduated with a Bachelors in Music Education. I am going to school for a Masters in Public Administration at UMD and would come again in a heartbeat. The academics are the same as the Ann Arbor campus but it's a closer drive. There is not much of a night-life as it is a complete commuter campus, but Dearborn is a pretty cool city, and you're not far from Royal Oak, Berkley, Southfield, etc. etc. I am really enjoying my time at UMD and would recommend it to anyone!
The University of Michigan - Dearborn