StudentsReview :: Western Michigan University - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 10
Females 5
Males 5
Avg years at University 1.7
Research Quality C+ (5.7)
Research Availability C (4.5)
Research Funding C- (3.8)
Graduate Politics C+ (5.0)
Not Errand Runners C (4.2)
Degree Completion C+ (5.0)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] C- (4.2)
Sufficient Pay C+ (5.0)
Competitiveness C (4.8)
Education Quality D+ (3.1)
Faculty Accessibility C- (3.9)
Useful Research B- (6.0)
"Individual" treatment C (4.5)
Friendliness C (4.7)
Safety A- (8.7)
Campus Beauty B+ (8.0)
Campus Maintenance A- (8.5)
University Spending B- (6.2)
Extracurriculars B- (5.9)
Scholastic Success B- (6.5)
Surrounding City B- (6.3)
Social Life/ Environment B- (6.3)
Education QualityD+
SafetyA-
Went to WMU forMar 28 2018Biology
Went to WMU for undergrad and graduate school and enjoyed most of my time here. BIOS faculty is supportive and very helpful, but, unfortunately, I can't say the same for the administrators of the grad college. Assistantships are available but don't expect a living wage or benefits.
I do believe that WMU offers many programsSep 05 2010Geography and Geosciences
I do believe that WMU offers many programs of study with professor that are helpful and other the student a positive experience. Unfortunately, the Geography department IS NOT one of them. My experience at WMU with this department was the worst. If I could have transfered schools to finish my graduate degree I would have. I stuck it out with this department and finished, but I have such a bad taste in my mouth from the experience I had to give my candid review. Most of the professors in this department are useless, they would rather be doing there own research. They are not helpful and when you have something to discuss with them, make you feel like you are an idiot or are just plain rude to you. I was a thirty-something year old student, and they spoke to be like I was in high school, it was a disgrace! The geography programs specilizations, i.e. Urban Planning, GIS and Environmental Studies, have no backing from the key organizations that they should be affiliated with, for instance, Urban Planning with APA (American Planning Association); GIS (Geographic Information Systems) with URISA (The Association for GIS Professionals) and etc. Other universities in Michigan offering the same or similiar programs, offer fantastic job placement when completing your degree, WMU Geography does not! They virtually have no assistance. I was able to get a very good job after my degree completion and when some of the professors find out about my very good job offer, they did not even say congratulations, there expression was more surprise than anything else.

Please, if you are a student considering a degree from WMU's Geography department, do yourself a favor and save yourself the many headaches, by going to another university or college. Universities within Michigan that are better, are Michigan State, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan and I hear Grand Valley State. Outside of Michigan, Florida State University.Good Luck to all future students ~

The Audiology Program at Western Michigan University wasJun 14 2010Other
The Audiology Program at Western Michigan University was an all around terrible experience. The professors were out of date and only cared about what they already knew. We were taught on equipment and theories which were no longer used in the field. We were treated as children until the day that we graduated. I would have left, which over 20% did, if I would have known it wouldn't get any better.
Professors are allowed toAug 26 2007Social Work
Professors are allowed to discriminate and harrass unconventional students to the point of students seeking legal assistance. This problem spreads through the school up to and including the then presidend Nelson Floyd.
This department is way below averageJul 04 2005Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
This department is way below average. Certain professors are psychos, arrogant, needs professional counceling, snotty, bullies certain students, plays a major role in reverse psychology, cons their students into attending the program to keep up numbers to run the deptartment, unfair grading, etc. I will beg any student to TRANSFER IMMEDIATELY and save yourself from mental, psychological and emotional damage. If not you will regret it and hate yourself for the rest of your life.
I have had aAug 25 2004Accounting
I have had a very positive experience at Western. Great teachers, great programs, and five job offers. Sure three of the offers suck paywise (ones in Utah! Ughh!) but I've got a choice between two good paying jobs. Already interviewed and been offered to start when I graduate. No complaints here.
The level of imcompetency at this university isMar 12 2004Anthropology
The level of imcompetency at this university is astounding. I think a bunch of monkeys can run this university better than it is being run now. Need to find out about something important? Too bad. Want to know what's going on? Too bad. Communication is so lacking and the level of academics is poor. I felt more valued and appreciated as an undergraduate at my alma mater than I do as a graduate student here. Upon arrival at WMU I felt very unwelcomed and ignored, and I was constantly in the dark about issues because only the inner circle knows anything. I have lost count how many times I've cried because of things here. I know other people may love WMU but if it wasn't for economic reasons, I would try to transfer a place where the city and university don't suck. Don't make the same mistake I did. Go someplace else where you can get a good education and feel like more than a dollar sign.
The University is on a transition path toOct 04 2000Mechanical Engineering
The University is on a transition path to becoming more of a corporate entity.I feel this is good for research but not so good for education and the student spirit.Students treat college as a buffer between school and job to be insulated from politics and money play.I am afraid that buffer is eroding.SOme departments(not all) tend to get more bureaucratic with size
Compare WMUSave WMU