StudentsReview :: Wayne State University - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 22
Females 6
Males 16
Avg years at University 2.0
Research Quality B+ (7.8)
Research Availability B- (6.5)
Research Funding B (7.0)
Graduate Politics B- (6.4)
Not Errand Runners A- (8.3)
Degree Completion A- (8.4)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] C+ (5.3)
Sufficient Pay B (7.2)
Competitiveness B (6.7)
Education Quality B- (6.4)
Faculty Accessibility B+ (7.5)
Useful Research A (9.2)
"Individual" treatment B- (6.0)
Friendliness B- (6.2)
Safety B (6.9)
Campus Beauty B- (6.5)
Campus Maintenance B (7.0)
University Spending B- (6.1)
Extracurriculars B- (6.0)
Scholastic Success B+ (7.6)
Surrounding City B- (6.1)
Social Life/ Environment B- (5.9)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi]C+
Useful ResearchA
The worst experience in education everySep 13 2018School of Information
The worst experience in education every. Some of the part time graduate faculty are not committed to the success of the students. Its obvious that they are there to pick up the additional paycheck with as little work as possible. The system to correct these flaws is broken from the top down. The obvious is that "learning" has been left out of the phrase learning institution. Individuals with any experience may experience extreme frustration as these instructors glaze over the topics just to get through the semester. The billing department is also somewhat of a joke as the accounting often doesn't know for days what is paid on an account to the "collections management". I had a hard time just getting a balance to pay off, which was changed at least 3 times. I finally just paid what I was asked to pay to move on to another school. I was then informed that I overpaid, afterwards informed that I didn't overpay,then that I should receive a refund and then that I had an another account that they forgot about which made everything equal out. Three weeks of calling and loss of a lot of precious time!!!
Graduated from this program a few years ago,Mar 08 2017PreMed and Medical
Graduated from this program a few years ago, but a buddy is applying this September and told me to check this site out and I thought as a former student I should leave review. This program lacks structure. As a student you are there to learn, but this program makes it almost impossible to learn at ease. You are not allowed to ask questions during exams in a particular class as "there won't be anyone there to answer your questions during your board exam" ... but the point of this program and having the ability to ask these questions is that we would know the answer by the time our board exam came around. If asking your teacher questions about something you don't know the answer to, you are told to "go look it up", but the point of asking the question is that you already looked it up and asked some friends and thats why your asking the teacher now, but nope you get no help or the answer is sugar coated and not helpful or they just beat around the bush. If you don't do too hot in a particular part of a class even if you are passing the class at the end of the semester you will still get a "failing" grade on your transcript, because thats just what they do. When it comes down to lectures, don't be fooled your teachers aren't the ones giving them, but they do write your exams. Once you do poorly on one thing you're on the shit list forever. There are one or two faculty members who are arrogant, self centered, highly unprofessional and will speak over you to the point where your concerns are not addressed. Overall, my suggestion to you is pick a different PA school.
Do not enroll in the online Instructional TechnologyJun 08 2015Education
Do not enroll in the online Instructional Technology programs. They are terrible and have a lot of LMS technical problems. It takes 3 weeks to get grades. If you make a complaint, you are just laughed out. Very arrogant, male dominant environment. This is not a mentally, positive environment to do graduate work in. Most professors except for Dr. Baaki, are very very old school and out of date with the necessaary field competencies. The focus is put too heavily on old school research. Dr. Baaki should be in charge of this program, the others need to be held accountable. I highly don't recommend this program. Your addressed concerns will just be laughed at by Mr. Bill Hill and Dr. Whitman. They were very disrespectful towards me as a female. I left this college with a great deal of humilation. Again, I advise not dealing with the program and staff "at" the Wayne State University School of Education.
Good department with upJan 14 2015Mechanical Engineering
Good department with up to date research work in progress. Some labs are equipped but not functional and that is due to lack of students to run those.All I can say is if you are prepared to work hard this university has lots to offer!!
Research Topic(s): Nanograin Energy
The university is not helpful at all inSep 08 2014Education
The university is not helpful at all in tending to student issues and concerns. They claim to have faculty and staff for each department, but who would know. No one believes in returning phone calls or emails. They give you the run around for something tiny that only takes a second to process. I needed to register courses at the last minute because I was sorting out my financial aid. God help me that I don't miss the late registration deadline. I can't get a returned phone call or email reply from a single instructor or department.
Research Topic(s): Rude
I am happy to have met my mentorMay 13 2014Other
I am happy to have met my mentor and conduct research within his lab, but I am unhappy with the institution. My department has a bias and wants students only to go into academic research. I find little support in my department for my careers goals. Luckily, my mentor is supportive. Very important isssue is Wayne State provides very poor stipend support around 20K. Comparable schools offer at least 25K. Wayne State is within the bottom quartile of schools nationwide for stipend support. Combine this with tenured faculty (science-related) who do not have funding and stopped publishing, it becomes difficult to find a good lab. I had to attend a local university due to personal obligations and wish I would have choose the University of Michigan.
i have attented wayneAug 30 2013Computer Science
i have attented wayne state for a year for now and i simply loved the place.The campus is beautiful and its a great place to learn.
It is not tooJan 03 2012Business - Management and Administration
It is not too bad for my graduate study life. Transportation is very convenient, close to downtown, 5 minutes walking distance to baseball game field. Gym is big and not to crowded. There is another campus to benefit students who live in another side of the city. I like my schoold to be honest.
I obtained an excellent undergraduate education at WayneDec 28 2011Nursing
I obtained an excellent undergraduate education at Wayne State 20 years ago. I am currently in graduate school in the College of Nursing. BIG MISTAKE! Tuition increased from $640 credit hour to $900+ in 7 months. My advisor has to work to become "poor" quality. I am being held hostage to publish a paper for a directed study (1) credit class for scholarship requirement and I never agreed to publish. I used to love this University. I hate the graduate program. Please take my advice and go to Madonna, MSU, or Oakland. This program does not respect the adult learner.
Nov 05 2010Business - Management and Administration
It's not worth the cost savings. Go someplace else.
Do yourself a favorite and go to anotherMar 19 2009Other
Do yourself a favorite and go to another university. WSU is at the bottom of the barrel. It had potential at one time to be a world class urban research university. Now the infrastructure is falling apart, the administration is in disarray, and the entire atmosphere is not conducive to undergraduate or graduate students.

As a graduate student I made a terrible mistake. To those who read this, DO NOT make the same mistake. My career options have been set back years and I will have to go somewhere else and start over again.Save your money, time and energy and go to another university. Your academic and job prospects will be better for it.

Non responsive faculty, littleMar 19 2009Other
Non responsive faculty, little financial assistance, and an overall "I got mine you need to get yours" attitude. No mentoring or fellowship with graduate faculty.This place sucks big time.
Mar 17 2009PreMed and Medical
Picked this school over many others, very happy to be here. Quality education, great faculty and lots of research.
Mar 14 2009Other
This place will screw you over. DO NOT attend this university.
The Political Science Department is undergoing a changeJan 17 2009Political Science
The Political Science Department is undergoing a change from focusing on its former strong areas of public administration and urban politics to that of international relations. I say good luck on that front. There are a bright bunch of graduate students in the department but when you think international relations, you do not think Wayne State. This is very important, considering when you are applying for that tenure track position (200 applicants for one spot), your PhD is in IR from WSU, and you're competing against PhDs from Michigan, Harvard, columbia...well you get the drift. Additionally, very little mentoring of graduate students by faculty in general. Some do try, but overall you're on your own. Funding is non-existant in the department but for a few teaching assistantships.If you're interested in public administration, urban or state and local politics, you might consider elsewhere. These were once the department's strength but that has greatly declined.
Amazing university, if theyJan 26 2008Mechanical Engineering
Amazing university, if they get their act together. Professors are of high caliber and research projects are of high importance and relevance. The only problem is getting the administation to do a good job!
Aug 25 2007Social Work
Not designed to assist the students
Well, I attented this University for a MSSep 30 2003Engineering Department
Well, I attented this University for a MS degree in Industrial Engineering. I graduated in 2001. The program is not that of a graduate level. The program needs re-structuring. Few of the MUST BE TAKEN courses are not under the core requirements. I received a letter after being admitted to WSU Engineering, about how they have a Career placement service which gives the students the opportunity for employment. I haven't seen any solid career placement services on-campus, apart from the general career services which offer u advice on how to build your resume and the fall semester career fair. Why doesn't WSU have a Career services dept like Kettering Univ., an agreement with the Major companies, on hiring WSU students an interns/co-ops. Is it because the quality of education in not as par as the other univ ? Couple of the professors in the dept. are hard to get a hold of, too busy running their private consultancies, skipping classes, hardly anything being taught. The MSIE program has to change and that too quick !!! For God sakes, students especially the International students are paying a hefty fees, for their education, not just an Easy A. I am pretty sure there are tons of other graduate students who feel the same as I do. I regret attending WSU for the IE program. Please don't get me wrong. I am not sure how the other engineering departments are, but I hear they are relatively better. And especially WSU Medical school, is one of the best. But pls do something about the IE program.
Feb 21 2002Industrial Operations Engineering
if u are looking for funding in mech or ind. engineering, go someplace else... itz good for anything else...
There is a verySep 13 2000Other
There is a very poor balance in the student body between
Americans that are night students with jobs, and foreign
students that are full time. Also the school has no moneyand this makes some resources hard to get to.
Compare WSUSave WSU