StudentsReview :: Concordia University - Saint Paul - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint John Vianney College Seminary -- Miami, FL
Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
Saint Olaf College -- Northfield, MN

Concordia University - Saint Paul

When I applied to colleges I got acceptedBrightUndecided
When I applied to colleges I got accepted at Hamline, Bethel, and Concordia. Because I really liked the idea of going to a small school and it was recommended to me, I chose CSP. After two years of attending this school, I wouldn't say I regret it nor would I transfer, but there are a few things I would change/wish had been different.

First off: I'm a commuter. Commuting at most colleges sucks, but I feel that it's bad here especially, as the student body is really clique-ey. You have the sports kids and the religious ones. If you don't expect to be part of either group, then prepare to feel a little disconnected from your peers. Living on campus at CSP is crucial to making friends otherwise. If you're like me and can't afford dorm fees, then you're out of luck. The students aren't mean-exclusive (they're nice to your face), but they won't go out of their way to hang out with you, either. Party life is nonexistent here, but that's fine with me since I'm not really into that scene.

Food service is fine. A little pricey, but that's to be expected at most universities. I usually bring my own food/buy food elsewhere to save money.

I can't comment on dorms, as I don't live in one, but I have a few friends who've said they're fine. One complained about them being too small and another had issues with temp (the girl's Freshman dorms have NO air conditioning and I think the Freshman guy's is the same- be prepared!). Upperclassmen dorms are really good, though.

The best part about CSP is the professors. I haven't had a bad one yet and they're all very supportive and kind. Workload is not bad at all (in fact, I was surprised we don't have more homework!) but I still feel I'm learning a lot. As class sizes are small, each professor you've had actually remembers you and every one I've had greets me in the hallway by NAME even if they had me 4 semesters ago. A+ staff!

Aesthetically CSP could do a bit better. Meyer/Luther Hall is one of the oldest buildings on campus and it shows. One of the bathrooms has broken tiles and leaky faucets, there's some water damage in the ceiling of the stairways, and it needs general updating. The other buildings on campus are just fine, though. In a way I sort of appreciate this, though, as you'll find that CSP is not focused on looks/prestige and they spend more money on programs/events/materials/financial aid than they do on aesthetics. If you're looking for a pretty college, this isn't it, but if you care about substance over glamour then CSP is good for you. Facilities are very clean, however (great janitorial staff!).

Because I don't live on campus, I can't comment much about night-time security/safety. The area around the campus can be a little sketchy at night. It's near the Frogtown district of St. Paul. As a St. Paul native, I can tell you Frogtown isn't the worst - and has been getting better - but I wouldn't walk around at night alone. I've heard of some car break ins in the parking lots, but it hasn't happened to me/anyone I know and I see CSP security walking/driving around constantly. Also, warning to out-of-towners: do NOT park in front of fire hydrants or no parking spaces. St. Paul cops love to ticket and you'll get one even if you leave your car for just an hour.

As I said, the student body can be a bit clique-ey. They also can be a bit snooty, as a lot are from wealthier/very religious families and can be judgmental to non-religious folk like me if you let them know. We recently had an issue on campus where they forced one of the students from her job in the campus chapel because she admitted she was bisexual/had a girlfriend. So... it's not the most progressive school, but that's to be expected since it's Missouri-Synod Lutheran affiliated. If you're more liberal minded like me, I wouldn't recommend attending CSP for reasons like this.

Overall:
Pros -
-great academics
-best professors ever
-easy to get around/get to know
-good social life for religious/sporty people
-beautiful outside grounds
-cheaper tuition and LOTS of financial help
-calm, focused mood
-workload is easy to handle
-small class sizes
-very clean campus
-humble/no putting up of airs
Cons:
-expensive cafeteria food
-judgmental/closed off atmosphere, but in a subtle way
-hard to make friends if a commuter
-small/hot Freshmen dorms
-clique-ey
-Meyer/Luther Hall needs updating
-not a lot to do on campus
-neighborhood can be a bit sketchy at night

2nd Year Female -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A+, Social Life: F
I cannot figure out if there is actuallyBusiness - Management and Administration
I cannot figure out if there is actually an alumni network that can assist in career advancement. The career services center at CSP is practically non existent. Try to get a hold of someone and they cannot meet with you for 2 weeks. Go in and meet with them and they only have answers that could be found by searching GOOGLE. An absolute waste of resources. Do not waste your hard earned money trying to earn a degree from this school. Go to a school where you can actually develop a network that will help you when you finish your schooling.
DO NOT GO HERE.Quite BrightOther
DO NOT GO HERE. If you feel that you are on the edge say you might go here. DON'T. It is a horrible place. There is nothing and I mean nothing to do here. Don't let the tours and students who work for the school fool you. There isn't anything to do, ever. The food is worse than my high school's, and the buildings that you will be spending most of your precious time in are out of date. There is no where to hang out, and the student hang out/game room is virtually empty 24/7. You will have a hard time meeting people, unless you play sports here and besides that there isn't really a reason to go here unless you absolutely love it. Campus security is terrible, there is no 24 hour access to the any of the art studios and if you need a late night snack you can't go anywhere on campus for it. This place flat out stinks. The only high light is professor Hampton.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016