StudentsReview :: Saint Cloud State University - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Females 3
Males 2
Avg years at University 2.0
Research Quality F (0.8)
Research Availability D+ (2.8)
Research Funding D+ (2.8)
Graduate Politics C- (3.8)
Not Errand Runners D+ (3.4)
Degree Completion F (0.8)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] B- (6.0)
Sufficient Pay C+ (5.2)
Competitiveness C (4.5)
Education Quality D+ (2.8)
Faculty Accessibility D+ (3.3)
Useful Research D+ (3.2)
"Individual" treatment C- (3.5)
Friendliness D (2.7)
Safety C- (3.7)
Campus Beauty C+ (5.5)
Campus Maintenance B- (6.5)
University Spending B- (6.1)
Extracurriculars C+ (5.5)
Scholastic Success C (4.4)
Surrounding City C- (4.2)
Social Life/ Environment D+ (3.3)
Degree CompletionF
Campus MaintenanceB-
I had a good experience in the UndergraduateMar 17 2017Linguistics
I had a good experience in the Undergraduate program for Teaching. The Graduate program was mostly positive. However, completing my thesis was a struggle. The professor I worked with was very impatient with any questions I had. I felt like I was going in circles. There were times when I was asked to do something and I did exactly that, then I was reprimanded for it. You have to be a self motivated person and find a group of people in the same boat if you are going to complete research. I tried to do it in isolation it did not help. Make sure the masters route you take matches your career aspirations. If you hope to do research you will need to be very self motivated and it would be best to not have a job at that time. Make sure the professor you pick will be available, and not condescending about questions, concerns you have. If you have meetings with your chair email follow up notes of what you spoke about to keep him/her accountable so they do not contradict themselves and send you in circles. Mostly the staff in my department were knowledgeable and helpful. One poor professor can truly make you feel crushed. Tough feedback is necessary however there are those who take it way too far. Non-traditional students with a job and family may struggle to complete this program. It is really geared toward those in earlier stages of life. This program at many times does things that are not directly connected to the teaching profession and can seem either too far up in research and theory//or like busy work.
This graduate school experience was like nothing IJan 07 2016Psychology
This graduate school experience was like nothing I expected, not in a good way I might add. Prior to this program I was considered a very good student and was known for working hard and getting good grades. Now, right here you might think that I am just going to complain because I received my first poor grade. Wrong.

These professors are worse than any professors I have had in my undergrad program. They are tenured and no longer care about the students. There are only a few of us yet they still treat us like a meaningless number. Tests questions are incredibly vague and poorly written. Professors admit to being lazy and are pompous. Many students will admit to feeling targeted and many will say that the professors are condescending and arrogant. The class quality is quite poor and they cannot hire more professors to save the program's life (program's reputation proceeds it for sure.) Politics play a huge role in the grade you will get and how you are treated. I should have listened to other people's advice when they said that the program was full of "drama," but I wanted to stay in the area for graduate school. This program simply cannot get its act together. Avoid it at all costs, even if it is a cheap university. I came to this program wanting to work and learn, and unfortunately have been able to accomplish neither.

Very poor UniversityApr 23 2015Psychology
Very poor University. Most staff are rude and bullies. I recently filed and won a grade appeal and the contact from that professor is awful and extremely unprofessional. I have been told multiple times there is no time for my concerns. Would not recommend this University to anyone.
Don't be fooled by any type of GAshipJun 04 2013English
Don't be fooled by any type of GAship they offer you; it is worth the debt to go elsewhere. I know people who have graduated from SCSU with their masters who have been told "no" from employers just because they came from SCSU, and frankly, if I am ever in a position to hire a new employee in the future, any applicants I see from SCSU are going straight to the shredder.
Education is economicalJul 13 2012Engineering Department
Education is economical. If you are self driven and want a reasonable education, definitely go for it. If you want to go for research. definitely a no.
The grad studies in computer science is aJul 09 2010Computer Science
The grad studies in computer science is a nightmare specially if you are international student. The department is not only biased it showed racism signs too. Condescending is its biggest strength. Most of the time one thinks about is staying in system rather than focus on learning, for which one comes. The foreign student can't raise their voice due to the fear of their visas getting canceled. Unless you have a green card and you are a master politic player, you should not ever think of entering in the college. It will break your spirits. Faculty here will make sure of that. Good Luck! You will need a lot to come here.
Not on university butJul 09 2010Computer Science
Not on university but the department. The department , Specifically Computer Science is a partial, biased, department. Condescending is its strength. In future, the university should not be allowed to offer graduate studies in the department. Not to mention there are times it showed racism
Saint Cloud State University