StudentsReview :: Saint Louis University - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 7
Females 5
Males 2
Avg years at University 3.0
Research Quality D+ (3.0)
Research Availability B+ (7.4)
Research Funding A (9.0)
Graduate Politics C- (3.5)
Not Errand Runners C- (4.0)
Degree Completion C (4.7)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] C- (3.6)
Sufficient Pay D+ (3.0)
Competitiveness D+ (3.2)
Education Quality D+ (3.3)
Faculty Accessibility C- (3.7)
Useful Research D+ (3.4)
"Individual" treatment D+ (3.2)
Friendliness D+ (3.4)
Safety D (2.6)
Campus Beauty C+ (5.6)
Campus Maintenance B- (6.1)
University Spending C (4.7)
Extracurriculars B (7.3)
Scholastic Success C- (3.6)
Surrounding City C+ (5.5)
Social Life/ Environment B (6.9)
SafetyD
Research FundingA
Zero funding for graduateMay 15 2018Public Health
Zero funding for graduate students and professors are leaving in mass exodus. Online lectures are outdated (one was from 2012 and used references from 2004) and classes are constantly being canceled.
Completely useless administrationAug 02 2016Business - Management and Administration
Completely useless administration. (Registar, reslife, and never was able to meet academic counselor) If you have to go to DuBourg good luck getting anything done in a timely manner. Nothing has been smooth, they've messed up schedules and blamed students. Many business department chairs are useless and condescending. (Old adage if you can't do it, teach) Stupid overlap of classes meaning you could get this degree in 2-3 years but to get extra tuition they spread it out.
I attended the online nurse practitioner program (don'tMay 16 2013Nursing
I attended the online nurse practitioner program (don't want to say which one, since am not finished yet). The main instructor rarely participates in online discussions, except to post lengthy reading lists and assignments. The school provides no assistance in finding clinical placements, so students are on their own for that, which can be very difficult. Ditto once you are in your placement, as the clinical instructors are very uninvolved in your work or progress, and many simply don't care or have involvement with your preceptor. Since I live far from the school, I saw it for the first time when i went to residency. Had I met the faculty earlier, or realized how haphazard the program was, i would never have gone there. As one of the most expensive online nursing schools in the country, definitely one of the poorest quality. If you are looking for an online nursing program, I strongly advise you to keep looking--there are many others that are surely better and less expensive.
Nov 21 2011Chemistry
slu sucks
I did the Graduate Certificate program in BiosecurityMay 13 2011Public Health
I did the Graduate Certificate program in Biosecurity. I originally was going to do the MS degree but wasn't satisfied with the program so I just got the Certificate, left the other earned credits on the table, and I'm moving on. I'm not going to bad mouth the University except to say that I don't think this program at least lives up to the reputation that SLU has and is overpriced in my opinion. I wouldn't say it was a waste of 2 years because I have some more initials to tack on after my name, but other than that there isn't much use in the degree program I think.

The degree program feels very disjointed with the white-collar Epidemiology focus on one end, and the blue-collar Disaster Preparedness on the other end. I think they should consider splitting this into two separate tracks.

Professors were subpar in my opinion. Very authoritarian and argumentative, top-down style approach to education. This is fine for 20-something undergrads, but inappropriate for adult learners in a graduate program. Wouldn't go here again.

I actually attended SLU for undergrad, masters andJan 07 2010Psychology
I actually attended SLU for undergrad, masters and doctoral programs. I loved my university, but do see that there is some room for improvement. I always felt like my professors cared about me and this was particularly true at the graduate level. Although I would have appreciated a larger faculty and course selection at the graduate level, I truly enjoyed my professors and KNEW that they cared about me as a person. One of my professors in the graduate program would have the students in my speciality area over to his house so that we could unwind and bond as a group of students. They also brought great research opportunities to us as students and pushed us to do things like research and publish. I was in the Psych department and was very fond of Dr. Munz, Dr. Kramer, and Dr. Ross. They were all very approachable, more than willing to help, and genuinely interested in us as students. I am still in touch with some of them even though it's been almost 10 years since I graduated and I am 1000 miles away. They really, really care.

I do think SLU is overpriced, but I think all (or nearly all) universities are overpriced. It's about value for the money...

As a PHD myself now, I teach for two online universities for extra money, and I can tell you that what I did to earn my masters degree is leaps and bounds beyond what MY students have to do. That alone makes me believe in the value of SLU. I worked my A$$ off to earn my masters and doctorate at SLU, but the two universities that I teach for -- for extra money only -- do not give students any where near the education that SLU gave me. As a warning, those two universities are University of Phoenix and Kaplan University. I actually had the Chair of the Dept. at one of those tell me that an A at their University is not equal to an A at my (or his) alma mater University, so those degrees earned at those universities don't even come close to meaning what my degrees did from SLU.

So, am I happy with SLU? Yes, many times over. I do wish that SLU would market more, though, so that hiring managers see a degree from SLU and know that it means more than one from Forest Park Community College or another "local" school (I think SLU's name mislead's some people...) or from an online school, such as Kaplan University or UoP which I think are both diploma mills.

Check out slu -- you'll be pleased. OH -- I did live on campus my first two years as an undergrad. It was fine, but nothing spectacular. Greek life is not big at SLU, but there if you want it.

Saint Louis University