StudentsReview :: Marymount University - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Females 1
Males 6
Avg years at University 2.0
Research Quality C (4.9)
Research Availability D+ (3.4)
Research Funding F (1.0)
Graduate Politics B- (6.4)
Not Errand Runners D- (1.4)
Degree Completion C+ (5.7)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] D+ (2.7)
Sufficient Pay D- (1.2)
Competitiveness C+ (5.0)
Education Quality C (4.9)
Faculty Accessibility C+ (5.5)
Useful Research B- (6.2)
"Individual" treatment C- (4.1)
Friendliness C (4.7)
Safety B+ (7.9)
Campus Beauty C (5.0)
Campus Maintenance C (4.5)
University Spending D+ (3.4)
Extracurriculars D- (1.6)
Scholastic Success C (4.6)
Surrounding City B (6.9)
Social Life/ Environment D+ (2.9)
Research FundingF
SafetyB+
Marymount "offers" students an opportunity to take classesMar 26 2015English
Marymount "offers" students an opportunity to take classes at other schools, but trying to take one is like pulling teeth on an unwilling victim; my advisor even said it was hard to take one because of the funding. I'm a graduate assistant, I was told that the position would be mainly a light work load and I could use the downtime for homework; half way through the semester the tune of the work changed, so now all of the GAs are being told we cannot do homework during the GA hours. The school only offers graduate classes at night, and does not have a wide variety of classes (three offered each semester) which makes it hard to complete the degree on time.

This school is overwhelmingly concerned with politics that trickles down to the students. I certainly didn't agree to become a pawn in someone's political game when I'm paying thousands of dollars for a third tier education.I would not recommend this school to anyone. I feel like I would get the same attention from an online program.

Unless you are theApr 26 2014Physical Therapy/Exercise Science
Unless you are the professors pet student, they won't even reply to your e-mail. Courses are poorly taught and the material is out-dated. Clinical slots are sloppy seconds that other schools did not fill. As an alumni, I would recommend going anywhere but here.
After one semester I was less than impressedMay 30 2012Business - Management and Administration
After one semester I was less than impressed with all but one professor (Prof. Kelet, he was pretty good).

When waiting for my second semester to begin, there was a total lack of communication from the university which left me scrambling to enroll in classes on the last day of enrollment. Because of this I was pretty much coerced into three classes that I wasn't interested in, but had to take to stay enrolled. After attending three classes, I decided I didn't want to waste anymore time or money and so informed my professors and the school admin I wouldn't be continuing, offering to pay pro-rata for the classes I had taken. As such a short time had passed, I was told this wouldn't, be necessary. A semester later I received a phone call asking why I hadn't paid that years tuition. I explained I had left the school the previous semester, they checked their records and agreed.

Over a year later, I received a letter from a collection agency telling me I owe Marymount over $10,000, thus damaging my credit score. This is how Marymount respects it's students.

Very bad interior designJan 08 2012Interior Design
Very bad interior design program and outdated BA and MA/ They have been on CIDA probation. The teachers have never worked in interior design, except for decorating their own homes.
Jul 16 2011Interior Design
Terrible graduate school of interior design.
Research Topic(s): Historical Review
Marymount is one of the two schools inSep 25 2010Interior Design
Marymount is one of the two schools in the DC area that have the program I want to study in. I picked Marymount because it had a lower cost and its classes were more convenient for me in terms of class availability for people who work a full-time job like me.

In my honest opinion, I believe that the quality of classes in my program are not the best, and that grading is very lenient. There a few times I knew I should have gotten a lower grade on a(n) exam/paper/class. However, I am taking it upon myself to learn a lot more on my own that what I am learning from my class lectures in such. I really want to do well after I graduate, so I'm working hard to make sure I am learning as much as I can inside and outside of the classroom.

The interior design program I am in is great. My classmates are friendly and so are the faculty. Everyone will know your name, and you will know everyone. You will definitely make great friends with your classmates and the faculty.

However, since the graduate program is small, the University will often cancel classes at the beginning of each semester because of low enrollment, and you will have to wait until the next semester or even the semester after to take a required course. A part of the problem is that many students are notorious for registering for classes at the last minute, so I guess the best advice for future and current students is to register for classes as soon as possible.In terms of on-campus financial aid/scholarships, you are pretty much taking out loans every semester unless you pay out of pocket. I wish there were more scholarships available for interior design students, but the only thing available are a couple graduate assistant positions each school year. You can always apply for outside scholarships, but those can be hard to win since everyone is applying for them.

As a grad student, and a commuter atJan 20 2010Psychology
As a grad student, and a commuter at that, I didn't have to deal with the dorms, the cliques, or anything else people typically complain about on these boards. My experience was quite good and I enjoyed my time here. I was working full time so the classes were very convenient and the campus was easy to get to even during rush-hour. Parking could be better, though I never had a problem getting a space if I looked around enough. I was also never interested in doing an Greek or extra-curricular stuff, so the lack of these never bothered me. All in all, go here if you want to learn without all the hassles of a bigger university.
A major plus for University is that theSep 22 2006Interior Design
A major plus for University is that the Interior Design faculty tries really hard to reach out to the students and help them whenever they possibly can. It's easy to find them and they are always willing to help (unless they are adjunct, then it's hard to find them). Even University staff are friendly and helpful. I have never seen such a friendly bunch in the Financial Aid, Student Accounts, and Registrar's office.

Also, another good thing is that the campus is very close knit. Even though it is small, there are tons of places where commuter students can hang out in between classes like the Lee Center... either Bernie's or the recreation area in the basement, the library, the lodge, or even in the open computer labs in St. Joe's Hall.

A major downside for the University is that even though everyone who works at Marymount are friendly and helpful, the administration is very unorganized. I had a horrible time getting ready for the first day of classes because of registration problems. My e-mail account wouldn't work so I had to call the Tech department for that. My financial aid was messed up so I had to call Financial aid about that. I couldn't register for classes because of weird stuff going on with the system--as a result I had to register for classes that I didn't need first.

Unfornately, the University has more downsides. Parking on campus is horrible and expensive. I don't even bother with it, I just use the shuttle bus... and the shuttle itself can be a pain sometimes. They added extra stops this year, so it takes a while for the shuttle to get from the metro station to main campus.

The graduate interior design student body isn't as diverse or 'exciting' as I thought it would be. Almost every student is an older woman in her 30's and 40's with a professional career already... Some just looking for a career change. If you're fresh out of undergrad school, this can be very intimidating depending on how comfortable you are. Being a younger male, I didn't really make any friends nor was I inspired.

Also, I wish that I felt more "attached" to the campus through extracurricular activities... but I wasn't very successful in doing anything since commuter students are pretty much "shut out" from being in the loop of things. You'd have to look really hard to find out with what's going on. Since the majority of the student body commutes, extracurricular activities, I think, aren't very popular and even seem a little exclusive. If you reached out to a group that you wanted to join they rarely are receptive. I felt like every time I went to campus, all I did was go relax in the Lee center & read and then go to class... then go home after that... and that's just no fun.Unfortanately I will be leaving my program and learning Interior Design elsewhere. Basically, if the administration were a little bit more organized and the on-campus community reached out to the commuters more, I'd feel more attached to the campus and less likely to leave it.

Apr 02 2006Business - Management and Administration
Marymount did an outstanding job in supporting evening schedules for working MBA candidates.
Compare MarymountSave Marymount