StudentsReview :: Norwich University - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 9
Females 5
Males 4
Avg years at University 1.4
Research Quality B- (6.3)
Research Availability B (6.8)
Research Funding B- (5.9)
Graduate Politics B+ (7.4)
Not Errand Runners A- (8.6)
Degree Completion B+ (8.0)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] C- (4.0)
Sufficient Pay B- (5.9)
Competitiveness B+ (7.7)
Education Quality A- (8.5)
Faculty Accessibility B (7.2)
Useful Research A- (8.2)
"Individual" treatment A- (8.6)
Friendliness A- (8.8)
Safety A (9.2)
Campus Beauty A+ (9.8)
Campus Maintenance A (9.4)
University Spending B+ (7.9)
Extracurriculars B- (6.0)
Scholastic Success B+ (7.4)
Surrounding City C- (4.0)
Social Life/ Environment D+ (2.9)
Social Life/ EnvironmentD+
Campus BeautyA+
So I started March of 2017Jul 29 2017History/Histories (art history/etc.)
So I started March of 2017. First professor was James Broom- he was great! Second class was easier (it's supposed to be harder), but professor Kautt was nice. Class three was HELL! Oliviero is an expert no doubt, but he doesn't know how to clarify exacgtly "what" a student is doing wrong. He just wrote "this is not at the graduate leverl" on all of our papers! There were 8 kids in my section- there were 2 sections. 5 out of 8 kids dropped my class, including me, and eventually the program. The man was ridiculous, a little pompous, and from what I heard a little rude to other students. I'm switching to Arizona State and so far my experience has been great. My best advice is, if you're an expert and have time to read, this is for you, but there's little interaction between students and teachers, even for a distance program. One of the students wrote to the director (who has been demoted) abou the ridiculousness of the man, Oliviero, and he basically said "tough crap." Yeah. I'm not going back there. And I would recommend not until they change things a bit. Their sign on is confusing because there's a separate link for online versus on campus students.I used to have to save the link to my computer to even find it again. Admitting advisors and financial aid folks were nice, but they blamed our dropping the program on the "ever declining ability of students' writing." Like, no. I had some great teachers teach me how to write. Some of these teachers don't know how to teach.
If you're seeking an experience in which youMay 31 2015History/Histories (art history/etc.)
If you're seeking an experience in which you will never want to remain in academia, this is the school for you. The administration and financial aid offices seldom respond to any requests by email or phone. If you become ill, there is no consideration amongst online programs that you will need time to recover, even a week. Also, be aware of the ever-fluctuating definitions that the program chairman and advisers will use on assignments. You will pay, literally and figuratively for any mistake that they make. Find a real university and save yourself the agonizing experience that is this school.
I really thought this school was all itOct 17 2013Other
I really thought this school was all it was cracked up to be. It's not. The staff is mainly to blame. If you've had a good experience here, than good for you. I wouldn't pick this school for anything, especially for how much they charge. It's sad, because this school has so much potential, but the culture, which is deep seated, sucks.
Masters in Leadership (online)-Oct 10 2013Unknown
Masters in Leadership (online)-
Software is awful for online learning. It feels like 10-15 year old message board technology. Material is not organized well and it is challenging to find the varying locations where your assignments are listed. Assignment descriptions are written poorly and it's challenging to understand what is expected.

Professors take 24 hours plus to respond to questions and responses are usually not helpful (typically refer you to an online doc that is not clearly written)

Professors do not participate in online education at all aside from grading papers. I was 6 weeks into the course before feeling too frustrated with lack of communication and un-enrolling. Over the first 6 weeks I never got an email or phone call from the professor.There is NO value in the delivery of the content. Save yourself $30k on this program and try a different one. You can get a reading list online for free from MIT, Harvard, Yale, etc and learn the same material on your own (which is pretty much what you do with Norwich)

I can't speak for the undergrad experienceDec 23 2010Political Science
I can't speak for the undergrad experience. I think it is not uncommon for undergrads to find themselves surrounded by childishness, closed-mindedness, irritating professors, or jerks in general. Part of beginning university is the reality of meeting many people from different backgrounds who have different opinions; and are naturally enjoying the freedom to articulate those opinions in an environment that is more open than high school. Norwich is a private military academy. Keepin it real-- I would not have chosen this school for undergrad because I know I would not fit in with that kind of scene.

I chose Norwich for grad studies-- it is an online program with a brief residency designed for hyper-networking-- because I wanted to be able to gain international work experience while accomplishing a quality masters degree. I needed to make the most of my time and money. I spent a year working overseas while tackling the program core. It was absolutely hell... 40 hours of my full-time job on top of the 6hr classes with Norwich left me almost no time to rest. I was a wreck by the time I finished my work contract and returned to the US. Some colleagues are in active military duty in Afghanistan or Iraq, among other places. The average MDY student, from my own experience, is a person who is very serious about their purpose. This is good and bad, because the rewards are great but the competition and expectations can be overwhelming at times.

The MDY program has been very useful for me- the curriculum gives a good systematic overview of the field and the faculty will help students find the right fit for specialization. My background is somewhat unusual, history and science. I was refreshed to encounter profs that are generous with their time and intelligence... the research I've been able to do as a result of their courteous support is enjoyable and fulfilling. I did not expect this level of freedom: it's nice to be able to do my work without fearing retaliation from professors who use authority to mask immature insecurity.

The professors I've had in my programs are top notch, and so are many of my colleagues. Some folks are ridiculously accomplished scholars and leaders of people-- my last prof is a Nobel laureate. The atmosphere is one of mutual respect and humility, almost to a fault. There is no arrogance that I've noticed, unless it has been on the part of another student. This is rare- I would say the overall character of MDY students is, as it should be, diplomatic.

Negatives:
-I personally need more face-to-face time than an online program can offer.
-The program requires extremely efficient time management. Weekly discussion grades are given a lot of weight. You cannot make an A if you cannot accomplish unrelenting excellence. I guess that's fair, but sometimes it seems like people who perform with consistent mediocrity come out on top. Such is life-- we all need to be able to prioritize things so that the job can get done.

-The system is not designed to deal with the caprice of genius. It is designed to make everybody smarter, faster, stronger, and more disciplined *aggregate*. The disciplined person of above-average intelligence (dumb people couldn't hack this program) will gain insight from the genius, and the genius will benefit enormously by developing practical skills. If you are ridiculously smart, do not expect mind blowing revelation from your cohort, and don't expect everyone else to entertain your insight. Just be grateful for improving yourself as a professional and teach yourself what you can.

I am glad I'm doing this- am very glad it's almost done. Would recommend the program but only for people who can handle their business.

I am in theJun 15 2006Political Science
I am in the Masters Program at Norwich University's School of Diplomacy. The program is very well structured and the faculty is very helpful. The work expected is very challenging and you will not have much of a life outside of school work, but is well worth it.
I'm enrolled in NU's online MSc in IAOct 31 2004Other
I'm enrolled in NU's online MSc in IA. Great NSA-recognized program with a government and military slant. Masters program has already significantly impacted my career and $$$ potential. Highly recommended.The online environment could easily be improved as the technology used is so 1995. Discussion boards are antiquated. Free-form discussion boards are policed by administrators who don't want any hard-hitting topics addressed. My impression is that the culture of Norwich is to not challenge anyone in public, not even fellow students.
I am in the Online Masters of JusticeSep 23 2004Criminal
I am in the Online Masters of Justice Administration Program. I am half-way through an 18 mth program and have really enjoyed it. It has been challenging but worthwhile. The only issue I've had - not with the MJA program - was with the Bursar's Office in remitting my financial aid overage timely. Otherwise everyone has been helpful, considerate and a pleasure to work with. The education has been great. I look forward to next summer when I get to do the Residency program.
Norwich University