StudentsReview :: Bastyr University - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 10
Females 5
Males 5
Avg years at University 2.6
Research Quality C+ (5.6)
Research Availability D+ (3.4)
Research Funding D+ (3.4)
Graduate Politics D+ (3.3)
Not Errand Runners D (2.3)
Degree Completion D+ (3.0)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] D- (1.3)
Sufficient Pay D- (1.3)
Competitiveness D+ (2.7)
Education Quality D+ (3.4)
Faculty Accessibility C (4.6)
Useful Research D+ (3.1)
"Individual" treatment C (4.8)
Friendliness C (4.9)
Safety B (6.5)
Campus Beauty B (6.8)
Campus Maintenance C+ (5.5)
University Spending C (4.5)
Extracurriculars C- (4.1)
Scholastic Success C (4.5)
Surrounding City C+ (5.5)
Social Life/ Environment D+ (2.8)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi]D-
Campus BeautyB
The campus, culture and brochures are excellentJun 19 2014Other
The campus, culture and brochures are excellent. However, I very concerned about the following:
(1) There has been a HUGE turnover at the college! There is a new dean within my department who doesn't seem to care or respond to the concerns of the students. Two fantastic professors were let go and one of the new professors (best friend of dean) has bad mouthed the previous professors and even stated that everything they taught was wrong. The real surprise is this professor doesn't seem to have any clinical experience. Soon there will be a new president of the school too!(2) I feel as though I didn't receive full disclosure regarding the tuition. First of all the amount in the catalogs, online, etc. had stated that the first year was $20,945 which wasn't the case at all. I later noticed that the website said the cost only included three quarters and NOT summer! However, summer is required in our program. Also, summer class are more expensive. The true cost for the first year is more like $36,000.00 and the cost of the whole programs is in the neighborhood of $126,420 (FOR A MASTER'S DEGREE!!!!). This amount doesn't include living allowance, parking, etc. and the cost just keep rising!
faculty tried their hardestMay 22 2014Other
faculty tried their hardest. The quality of administrators is very poor. The controller and vp of finance have no idea how to provide customer service to students. The controller, joe plouf, comes from kpmg auditing firm, the most corrupt auditing firm in the world. Kpmg is fined millions of dollars each year for falsifying corporate values. Has BASTYR been reaching to the bottom of the barrel? BASTYR used to be rooted in naturopathic medicine. Now they want your $120,000 and that's it. No thank you. No being nice to alums.
This is a horrible way to committ careerAug 20 2013Unknown
This is a horrible way to committ career suicide. If you want to be a doctor, go somewhere else. If you want to be a great HEALER, go someplace else. I co-founded Wellness Day her, I cofounded the student newspaper her, I started programs here, I taught here. I know all about this horrible scam. Beware!!
Bastyr University is a fraudJul 16 2012Other
Bastyr University is a fraud. The good Professors are leaving because the administration fires Professors for standing up for students. There is no tenure and the school has been censured for firing professors without cause by the AAUP (check out the AAUP website that lists Bastyr asa censured institution and has a report and see that the President and VP for academics both lied about the firings). Imagine how students are treated if this is the way they treat professors. Go somewhere else....quickly. It used to be a good school but now they take your money and give you little in return.
There have been problems in the past at the university, butJun 03 2012Other
There have been problems in the past at the university, but it was taken care of and the university is working, with the input of students, to make it better. Bastyr is a difficult but you get out what you put in. If you are struggling, all you need to do is ask for help. In my 3 years, I have had tons of personal issues come up. The faculty and admin listened and helped me to graduate on time. People who have problems here are the same people who don't show up for class or expect to be spoon-feed. If you want a first class education that will prepare you for life after college, Bastyr is the place to go. Work hard and be rewarded.
This place had problems when I went thereDec 05 2011Other
This place had problems when I went there. Now it's even worse. The dean has finally resigned and the clinic dean is gone as well. Lots of politics, bickering and lying went on and continues to go on. It affects the quality of the education students receive. Core faculty have recently resigned due to all the politics.
The politics and powerDec 05 2011Other
The politics and power struggles within the administration are bringing down this university and this program. The students have given up. Good faculty have left and continue to leave. This place is a mess and I don't recommend this school to anyone.
I like it! At ;least for graduate NutritionFeb 14 2011Nutrition
I like it! At ;least for graduate Nutrition program...I was APPREHENSIVE about spending this kind of $ on tuition but I love all my classes it is small enough to get lots of attention from your teachers, and they are incredibly interesting people with awesome stories of their background in the nutrition field. It is REALLY nice to not be disappointed in my decision to come to this school and spend this kind of money :) Everyone is really nice and getting small tasks done around campus is really easy and user friendly. I have friends who live on campus and they complain sometimes since it is so far away from well a lot of stuff that they feel isolated in Kenmore/ on campus. So live off campus most people do. Seattle (the cool part) is about 30 minutes drive and the country is about 30 minutes east (thats where I live). For nutrition at least this place is one of a kind, we get to work in the clinic and see nutrition patients I can't wait! And also the cafeteria is delicious!!! I have no idea what happened to that kid in the acupuncture program that is so unhappy. It is not a graduate program so of course there were people in his classes with no degrees. But I was really surprised to see such a bad review. Anyways Bastyr gets my vote and trust me I was skeptical going in and I am beyond satisfied. You will work hard though be ready!
Nov 22 2008Unknown