StudentsReview :: The University of Washington - Seattle - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 7
Females 3
Males 4
Avg years at University 2.6
Research Quality B (6.8)
Research Availability C (4.6)
Research Funding C (4.6)
Graduate Politics B (6.8)
Not Errand Runners B (6.6)
Degree Completion C+ (5.6)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] B- (6.4)
Sufficient Pay B- (6.5)
Competitiveness B (6.8)
Education Quality C+ (5.1)
Faculty Accessibility C (4.6)
Useful Research B (6.9)
"Individual" treatment C+ (5.1)
Friendliness C (4.7)
Safety B- (5.8)
Campus Beauty B (6.6)
Campus Maintenance C+ (5.7)
University Spending C+ (5.2)
Extracurriculars C+ (5.7)
Scholastic Success C (4.9)
Surrounding City B+ (7.7)
Social Life/ Environment B- (5.9)
Faculty AccessibilityC
Surrounding CityB+
Dec 08 2014Athletics/Training
The students here utilize the best automatic voting scripts bar none.
I was expecting more from a top-rated OTJun 05 2010Physical Therapy/Exercise Science
I was expecting more from a top-rated OT Rehab Program (rated #12 in the U.S. when I started the program a couple years ago.) The faculty are uninterested, uninvolved, and very much on "auto-pilot". I'm still glad that I decided to get my MOT but it definitely did not need to be at this school. Other programs are a lot more involved, hands-on and the faculty actually give a damn about your educational experience.
University of Washington at Bothell - Elementary (K-8)PostMar 30 2009Education
University of Washington at Bothell - Elementary (K-8)Post Baccalaureate Teaching Certificate Program.

Comment on Advising: This degree follows a cohort format which means that the course sequences are pre-determined. The program is lock step. Because it is in a cohort format, students are not assigned to an academic advisor. I found this to be problematic a few times. Due to the lack of advising, I was left to resolve a situation on my own and it was distracting, stressful, and time consuming. I handled it well and it all worked out but I feel that I should have had support. I felt like the lack of advising was a cost cutting measure.

Comment on Placement Process: In my opinion, the on-site field experience coordinator seemed to be awkward with people (poor people skills), including with both teaching program students and teaching professionals in the school system. My brief personal experience with the coordinator was disappointing and he seemed to lack the professionalism, organizational abilities, and decorum needed for this important position that is all about people skills and networking.

Comment on Coursework: In my opinion, some of the coursework was top-notch. Though a lot of it seemed to lack substance and theory. The basis for many courses was student reflection. As a result, much of the class time was spent in group discussions, group activities, and group communications. I thought we spent a lot of time in class talking about how we felt. I think this was due to the constructivist approach to instruction. Prior to enrollment in this program, I did not know colleges used constructivist methods as I was familiar with direct instruction used for my bachelor's degree. Personally, the constructivist approach did not work well for me. Some other teaching students seemed to like it though. If I had known this was the approach, I would have gone to another school. I would have preferred to spend less time discussing and more time hearing about and studying current educational theory. Some reflective discussion and group activities would have been welcome as long as it was not the majority of the class time.

Comment on Administration: Leadership seemed to be in flux and did not seem reliable. As a result, policies and expectations seemed to shift. I found this stressful.

Staff Experience: A couple of the instructors were exceptional and I enjoyed their approaches and course content. These good experiences made the program shortcomings and logistics issues more bearable.

Now that I am in the teaching profession, I thought I would take a minute to go back and offer my thoughts about this program. Maybe it will be the right one for you or maybe you will fit in better elsewhere. From my experience in this program, I have learned the importance of doing research to ensure that a program of study. Hope this information helps you.

Despite wanting desperately to understand the grading requirJul 20 2007School of Information
Despite wanting desperately to understand the grading requirements, testing material, and other aspects of grad school, The UW makes concerted and paranoid efforts to conceal this information from all students, with the perception that access to the information which a student requires for targetted studies and productive educational tutorage, is equal to cheating.

This is such a mind-bending perception that I was unable to function as a student and my grades went from 4.0 to 1.6 GPA annualized. This University confuses ablation of students to be superior to actual competitive knowledge and skills, and they practice aggressive weeding out in various areas of the institution, including students who are already admitted.

One such requirement is the insane demand of the Masters program in IT for an incoming student from ANY OTHER COLLEGE to take SEVEN post-bachellorate classes PRIOR TO GAINING ADMISSION. Any Math majors out there will agree with the Economics majors; Any student would run out of financial aid long before completing this process. The classes ARE not to be taken concurrently.

I obtained special permission to take two at a time, but my grades were further decimated by the obscene requirements for sequential teaching, and secrecy.

The UW has ONE GOAL, and it is not the education of its students. The Goal of the University of Washington is "Status."

The entire campus and all its facilities, staff, and the regents, en toto, have 'little man' syndrome. I'd call it "Grant Envy."I am demopoly on google mail, for advice on how to deal with this system at UW. Basic advice: Go elsewhere.

This review was forMay 05 2005Other
This review was for the University of Washington, Bothell campus. There was also no option to select my department, Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences.
Compare UWash-SeattleSave UWash-Seattle