StudentsReview :: Washington State University - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 7
Females 3
Males 4
Avg years at University 3.0
Research Quality B- (5.8)
Research Availability B (6.7)
Research Funding C (4.8)
Graduate Politics B- (5.9)
Not Errand Runners C+ (5.4)
Degree Completion B+ (7.9)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] C+ (5.5)
Sufficient Pay B (7.2)
Competitiveness B (6.8)
Education Quality B- (6.3)
Faculty Accessibility C+ (5.3)
Useful Research B (6.7)
"Individual" treatment C (4.9)
Friendliness B (7.1)
Safety A- (8.3)
Campus Beauty B (7.2)
Campus Maintenance B+ (7.8)
University Spending B (7.0)
Extracurriculars B (6.6)
Scholastic Success B+ (8.0)
Surrounding City C (4.3)
Social Life/ Environment B- (5.8)
Surrounding CityC
SafetyA-
I did not getApr 07 2014Music - Performance
I did not get what I came here for. Yes, I received my masters degree but, I strongly encourage you to not come here for music. Many teachers only care about themselves and will make sure you sacrifice to fulfill their wants and NOT your needs as a student. DO NOT COME HERE FOR VOCAL PERFORMANCE!!!
Oct 25 2013Anthropology
Great place to do graduate research.
In the spirit of fairness, I will startMar 27 2012Other
In the spirit of fairness, I will start off by listing the things I actually like about WSU:

-Pullman is small enough that pretty much everything is walkable (if not terribly pedestrian friendly), which can be surprisingly convenient

-The pace of life is very laid back and relaxed.
-My adviser has been very cool and hands-off.
Now, everything else I feel about the school:

First off, unless you're in the Agricultural School, there is no funding for anything, anywhere. Despite being promised one, I never received a TA or any other form of financial support, aside from a one semester job as a grader (which did not provide a tuition waiver, just an hourly salary). Fortunately, I had sufficient financial reserves that I was able to continue in my schooling, but if not for that, I would have seriously been up a creek without a paddle. Also, most of the labs here usually have very little funding as well. It's bad enough that "do you have any rich relatives?" has been asked in a more than humorous manner during my lab meetings. Furthermore, due to the budget crunches of the last few years, two libraries have been slated to be shut down.

However, somehow there has been adequate funding for a full renovation of the football stadium, and the hiring of a new football coach (yes, I know the academic and athletic funds are separate, and the former is almost entirely sustained by TV revenue and alumni donations- but how about asking aformentioned alumni to donate to the academic fund? Or should we just be honest and admit that WSU is essentially an athletics franchise that happens to teach classes on the side?)

While many find the atmosphere of the school to be a positive feature, I personally think it's incredibly obnoxious. People talk about "Cougar pride", and "Go Cougs" is everywhere, but no one every seems to state what exactly everyone is so proud *of*. I mean, yes, the school does have a fairly close-knit community amongst the undergrads- but universities are *supposed* to have that. It's like being proud of the fact that you pay your taxes, or don't murder people. And the idea of being proud of the fact that you're proud just seems like a tautology to me. Granted, this is much more subjective than the other criticisms I have mentioned, so your mileage may vary greatly, particularly if you're into the whole school spirit thing.

There is also a strong focus on athletics, even though pretty much all of WSU's teams are, by and large, terrible. I suppose it keeps people from getting too bored.

The culture here is something I've never really adjusted to. Now, I will be the first to admit I've been spoiled rotten in this regard- I did my undergrad at one of the top public universities in the country. The students there were brilliant and cerebral, endlessly creative, and over the years, had developed many ways to keep themselves from getting bored. There were at least ten student performing art groups (including the country's only student-run opera company), at least a dozen a capella groups, every form of social dance imaginable, and plenty of other student-coordinated activities. There was never a shortage of things to do in your leisure time.

At WSU, however, it seems the kids don't have the imagination- or the drive- to do anything of that magnitude; most just go out drinking (in fact, I've been told that social dances are rarely held on weekends, because it's assumed everyone will be out at the bars or the frats). As someone who abstains from alcohol due to a serious family history of alcoholism, this is a less than ideal situation.

The students here aren't dumb (well, most of them aren't), but it seems like most of them aren't exceptionally intelligent, either, and even the ones who are lack ambition and passion. I get the feeling that a large portion of WSU's student body came to college for the "college experience", not because they actually wanted to do something with their degree (whereas at my undergrad, a degree was largely considered a stepping stone to doing something big and meaningful with your life, and not an end unto itself).

Pullman, WA is a tiny town, and I say this as someone who grew up in a rural community in the foothills of the Appalachians. It's also very isolated- you have Moscow, ID (another college town, marginally more interesting than Pullman) to the east, Colfax (a small farming town) to the north, Lewiston, ID to the south, and then *nothing* for literally (and I mean *literally*) 50 miles in every direction but wheat fields and tiny farming communities. I had never felt cabin fever on a regional scale until I came here.

Also, it's cold and wet for most of the school year, but I suppose that's to be expected for the Pacific Northwest.To sum up, if you're looking for a good vet school, or anything having to do with Plant and Animal Sciences or Agriculture, don't mind isolation, enjoying getting blackout drunk on a weekly basis, and don't care about culture, you could certainly do worse than WSU. If you're anyone else, you can almost definitely do better.

All of the peopleMar 15 2005Communications
All of the people at WSU are super nice, as far as the ones I know. Murrow School of Communication is fantastic, although some grad level courses content are too cursory and some are not comprehensive enough. Overall, this is a good department & school. I love it here. GO COUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A big school withNov 12 2002History/Histories (art history/etc.)
A big school with a small feel to it... unless you are an undergrad... you might get lost in the shuffle. GREAT school spirit! Once a coug, always a coug!
Compare WSUSave WSU