StudentsReview :: Santa Clara University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Friendly, Arrogant, Condescending, Unhelpful

ACT:27
SAT1040
Campus Aesthetics/ Beauty
He cares more about Educational Quality than the average student.
Date: Oct 03 2002
Major: Computer Engineering (This Major's Salary over time)
I hate SCU with a passion. They've screwed me over many times; the main problem with SCU is that lots of it is student-run which can both be a good and a bad thing. For me, it was horrible. They somehow created two student accounts under me, where I was probably overcharged after MORE than frequent visits to student records/accounting to resolve accounting issues.

I also question the intelligence of campus safety; one officer issued a ticket on my car for lacking a permit. You explain to me the logic in this one: the ticket was placed 1 feet away from the permit! Again, I had to spend my own time and energy to argue the ticket, and only to end up with a WARNING. Yes, a warning, not a full pardon, but a warning to not do it again, when I've never violated anything in the first place.

The biggest issue if you have housing at SCU is the food. You are giving approx. $1000 dollars per quarter to spend at their horrible cafeteria, where most foods lack any taste at all, and only around 1/3 of those dollars are actually used. Most people spend their remaining $600 at the cellar market, where items are also marked up. You are FORCED to pay $1000 for food, and there is no way to retract it unless you have some medical condition or religious reason (good luck with that one; I've tried many times to get a refund).

Then came my books; I've borrowed a handful of books from SCU before the start of the summer, and have returned them all at the same time, on time. However, during the summer, I get overdue fees for books I've already returned! I had to get from where I live in San Francisco to Santa Clara TWICE to resolve the issue.

Regarding a social life, if you're someone who enjoys parties with some good alcohol, don't expect much. The parties SUCK; I don't even call them parties. Some parties just have beer, others none at all. People just stand there… to drink. There's not much fun in these parties in my opinion. If you're thinking about getting some, don't count on it. Come on, this is a JESUIT school after all. Also, there's nothing in terms of entertainment on campus (which I'll explain later). Chances of meeting new people are low, since most are self-induced into doing their own things.

The campus may be beautiful, but don't let that decieve you; there's NOTHING around or near the campus for MILES; it's all commercial buildings. You'll have to learn to use the train (which now only runs weekdays) to get you to better areas, such as San Jose. Basically, if you don't have a car, you're screwed. There's relatively few people who actually wonder around on campus during the days.

Clubs, there's nothing really notable about them, and your choice for clubs are really low.

If you plan on 'getting ahead' in graduating early and plan on using community/junior/other colleges during the summer to do it, don't bother; there's few loopholes in SCU's you-must-study-all-your-courses-here plan.

I'm a Computer Engineering major. If you're expecting to learn C++, don't bother; they teach you java instead, then immediately stick you into assembly with other C++ students, and they EXPECT you to know C when you've never had any related experience at all. Who ever thought of that one should be shot. They also teach you Haskell, the most USELESS language ever; it's also the most difficult class, yet there's no real use for it. There's alot of things about the CE major that I do not understand at all. Oh yeah, lab TAs are usually foreigners who can barely speak english; moreoften you'll be asking your friends assistance, rather from the TA's.

You want to know what response I recieved when I made my complaints to a counselor?

Welcome to Santa Clara University.

I now say that to every SCU student I know who is there and hates the place as well.

Advice:

If you want a school where your sole purpose is to study your brains out, SCU is for you. If you envision on having some sort of relationship in the future of your college years, try another college. If you like having fun, going out, or just partying, go somewhere else.

Notably really good teachers: Poe (Math), Mikillini (Computer Science/Engineering), Vincent (Psychology), Pappas (Art History)

I REALLY stand by my story, and to prove this, I am signing this with my name. Where do I go to now? Foothill junior college, and I love it so far.

Theo Chakkapark