StudentsReview :: St Olaf College - Extra Detail about the Comment

Friendly

ACT:27
Social Life
Safety
She cares more about Social Life than the average student.
Date: Apr 27 2003
Major: Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc (This Major's Salary over time)
I came to St Olaf thinking it would be very different then it actually was, which may be my own fault because I did not stay overnight. I am sure that if I would have, I would not have come here. I am a person that values my education very much but I also need an active social life. I have always been able to balance the two and am very dissapointed with the lack of exciting things to do here. The town of Northfield is not the most exciting place, but it seems that if a large group of college age students want to have fun, they should be able to no matter what the town is like, but that does not happen here. More often than not, people stay in on friday and saturday nights studying or just "hanging out", either that or sit around in peoples dorms rooms and drink. Since it is a dry campus, this is risky and you have to stay pretty quiet (kind of like in highschool when you didn't want your parents to know you were drunk. . .)! The music program is huge here, and if you are into choir and music that is great, but for all of you who are not, you may feel a BIT outnumbered here. I would say that this college definantly draws a certain type of person and they tend to be a bit conservative in their actions (you wouldn't see them on MTV spring break!). For me personally, I am used to being around people who love to have a good time, they study hard and party hard, and you will not find many people like that here. Many people I know are very dissapointed with the social aspect of this school. The academics are great though, you will definantly get a good education here, you just might die of boredom before you graduate. I will very likely transfer before I graduate just because I don't want to waste my last years of being young and crazy at a place like this.
Compare SOCSave SOC