StudentsReview :: Middlebury College - Extra Detail about the Comment

Amherst College -- Amherst, MA

Middlebury College

Alumni Survey

Date: Jun 24 2003
Major: Language - French/Spanish/etc. (This Major's Salary over time)
I would recommend avoiding Middlebury College entirely. I was a major in Chinese, and due to medical problems, could not use Chinese during my last semester there. They gave me the degree knowing that I knew no Chinese whatsoever!

I had tried to transfer out of Middlebury after my junior year. That's right. I had realized that the college was so terrible that it was better to start over somewhere else instead of attending one more year at that highly isolated clown college. I had developed an interest in science that year, and the physics faculty I talked to advised me to transfer to a school that specialized in the sciences. Unfortunately, my parents would not let me transfer, and I had to remain at Middlebury.

Despite the fact that I graduated summa cum laude from Middlebury with a degree in Chinese, I cannot even count to ten in the language. Getting the degree was the biggest mistake of my life. When I was finally able to study physics, and work towards a B.S. in that field, my degree disqualified me from obtaining grant money and I was forced to support myself entirely with loans. I would have preferred to go into engineering instead of physics, but the public universities in my state prohibited me from entering any undergraduate programs in engineering solely because I already had a degree—even though they agreed that the Middlebury degree was totally worthless!

I cannot think of a single benefit that I obtained from going to Middlebury. I wasn't even able to make a single friend there—even though I was able to make several when I went for my second bachelor's degree.

Middlebury College