StudentsReview :: Hillsdale College - Extra Detail about the Comment

Surrounding CityF Extra CurricularsB-
SafetyA+
Approachable, Snooty

ACT:32
id='quarter' class='snapshot' style='color: #009704; line-height:80px';float:left;
SAT1700
She cares more about Surrounding City than the average student.
Date: Jan 10 2004
Major: English (This Major's Salary over time)
I just graduated from Hillsdale in May of 2003. If you can agree with the following five statements, you should go to Hillsdale.

1. You want to be challenged—academically, intellectually (they are two different things) and possibly socially. There is no grade inflation at Hillsdale. If you are serious about succeeding, you can. There are students at Hillsdale with radically divergent viewpoints, even though the school is touted as a conservative flagship—this offers many chances for discussion. There is nothing a HC student likes more than a good no-holds-barred debate. Also, there are only a few social clubs on campus, and entrance, while not selective, can be crucial to retaining friends or being "accepted" by certain people.

2. You want a friendly environment. This school is not big (about 1300 students), but those 1300 students are pretty darn friendly.

3. You want the best teachers. While Hillsdale may not be Hahvahd, they are called (in conservative circles)

the ivy league of the midwest.
Not all of the professors are geniuses, but many are truly brilliant—especially in the humanities and social sciences. Also, there are no TAs at Hillsdale, and around 98% of the faculty have their PhDs.

4. You can handle being out in the sticks. Although Hillsdale is the county seat, it is no bustling metropolis. The town is okay, but the nearest mall is an hour away. Daytrips to Lansing and Ann Arbor ("real" college towns) are not uncommon.

5. You want to meet the "movers and shakers" of the conservative miliue. While I was at Hillsdale, I had breakfast with Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, I was taught by a MI state supreme court justice, I met a nobel-prize winning economist (James Buchanan), heard Dr. Laura and Paul Harvey in person, had a 6-person poetry workshop with a nobel laureate, and shook hands with the first female PM of Pakistan. I don't think all of these things would be possible at a big school—and it is a testament to HC that they are able to draw such big names.

Anyway, I don't mean to sound like a promotional video (I did work as a tour guide at the college, so I have a lot of ammo)—but I wouldn't have taken this much time out of my life to write if I wasn't a fan.

PS I also met my fiance there. :)

Compare HillsdaleSave Hillsdale