StudentsReview :: George Mason University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Arrogant, Condescending, Unhelpful, Self Absorbed

SAT1100
Safety
A
He cares more about Faculty Accessibility than the average student.
Date: Jan 18 2004
Major: Political Science (This Major's Salary over time)
My time at George Mason University has been a deplorable experience. When I transferred here with my AA, I learned that transfer students do not get on campus housing. This was not communicated to me when I applied nor was I told this when I accepted my offer of admission. I

was required to live independently off-campus, and incur many additional expenses.

The student interaction at Mason is unacceptable. I came here looking for the college experience that a real university should offer. What I found were pre-established regional high-school cliques, an over-representation of older, returning to college adults, and non-inclusive ethnic circles. It did not take two years to learn that none of the students want to talk to anyone around them. They walk around campus talking on their cell phones, go to class, then leave.

The level of assistance from the financial aid department was unacceptable as well. This department did little outside of recite and dispense my FAFSA results. My financial aid advisor, Tom Perdiou, was especially unhelpful. With regard to Virginia’s financial aid guidelines which cap a student’s loan amount, but do not consider the costs of living in Northern Virginia, his response was basically that of a waitress who shrugs her shoulders and says

This isn’t my station.

In conclusion, Mason misrepresents itself as an “innovative,” non-traditional university. The reality is a commuter school with no university culture or sense of campus community. Its highly flaunted ethnic diversity amounts to nothing more than tribalism. Certainly there is a wide range of backgrounds and ethnicities at Mason, but those groups generally do not interact with each other.

If I could make this decision again, it would be not to attend George Mason University. To everyone I meet who is considering colleges, I will emphatically advise against going to Mason.

George Mason University