StudentsReview :: Roanoke College - Extra Detail about the Comment

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA

Roanoke College

Alumni Survey

Date: Feb 25 2004
Major: Political Science (This Major's Salary over time)
Obviously my experience at Roanoke is dated—I graduated in '84—but I keep in touch and am active in its alumni affairs.

Like so many small liberal arts colleges Roanoke is what you make of it. Comments that is snooty and a party school are accurate—when I attended the unofficial motto was "I'll have a drink, I'll take a toke, I'll get a degree from Roanoke" and surrounding colleges gave as the moniker "Roll an' toke"—but so are those commending the college for its quality professors. I partied hard there, and when I go back to Salem that's a tradition that has not died out. But I also learned a lot, developed relationships with my classmates and professors that have lasted two decades. My parents and I both invested a lot of money in the college, and that was a worthwhile investment that I continue to endorse by being active in alumni affairs and giving to the college.

To me Roanoke College is incredibly special. I was not in a frat but did find opportunity to establish an individual identity. You can accept the cultural and social situation of a place by just complaining about it, but doing so overlooks the opportunity to change that situation or to create your own niche. Roanoke allowed that then and allows it now—I know this because the kids of my classmates are there today.

At Roanoke I got the education and advice I needed to develop a career. And I had fun there. I went on to grad school, earned a doctorate and have been teaching for fifteen years. The school I'm at has nothing compared to the spirit and character of RC.

Roanoke is simply special.

Compare RoanokeSave Roanoke