StudentsReview :: George Mason University - Extra Detail about the Comment

SafetyB+
Friendly, Approachable, Snooty

Friendly, Helpful, Arrogant, Condescending, Unhelpful

D-
She cares more about Faculty Accessibility than the average student.
Date: Apr 11 2004
Major: Communications (This Major's Salary over time)
I am a senior Communications major at GMU. I have been going here off and on since 1998, so I can definetly provide you with great advice about GMU, but the cons outweigh the pros.

Pros: GMU is a pretty and well-maintained campus and is near DC. There are many fun events throughout the semester. The food has gotten MUCH better since 1998.

I liked most of my classes and felt challenged by the professors.

Some of my instructors were from different cultures.

Cons: GMU ALLOWED CREDIT CARD COMPANIES TO SOLICIT ON CAMPUS. I do not think it is as rampant as when I was a freshman, but I DO NOT think that is useful to college students!

Some of my instructors were from different cultures.- I List this under pros and cons because it is good to learn about new cultures, but sometimes I could not understand the professor because of the difference. It was language, style of teaching, and thier idea of how students to talk to professors (like they are god ).

The general education classes are way to large, good luck trying to get one on one help with your instructor. Some professors do not have offices on campus and are hard to get into contact with.

ANd if you have required classes, you can ONLY TAKE THEM AT GMU! What if you want to go to summer school and do not live in the area? I live in Va Beach (3 hrs away) they would not allow me to take classes at my local community.

GMU is located in one of the richest county in the US-Fairfax. So if you have to live off campus it is extremly hard to find affordable housing. A one bedroom could cost $1000 +!!! College students cannot afford that!!!

The computer labs are ALWAYS full and many times the printer/computers are inoperable.

People are nice, but GMU is a commuter school, so Fri-Sun are DEAD on-campus. Most people are like me: Go to class and go to work. The only times your on campus is if you HAVE to be.

I lived on campus freshman-junior year. It was fun, but not much to do if you do not have a car to go off campus because nothing says open late for students living oncampus. There are limited places to eat especially on the weekends.

Housing: horrible. If there is ever a maintence problem -good luck!! I remember freshman year, the heater broke in our quad(4-5 people in one dorm room) and it took 2 weeks for someone to fix it!

The last straw was junior year when I lived in the PV (Patriots Village-which are TRAILERS!!!!Yes I am serious). I wanted a single room, so i was assigned one in PV. We went without heat during the winter for 3 weeks. They gave us those portable heaters which I would not use because I heard they were dangerous. So i stayed at another dorm which had heat. The back stairs porch collapsed while I was on it (thank god i wasnt hurt or GMU would have been sued!!). Do you know how maintence fixed the backstairs?? I know because I watched them from my window. THey REHAMMERED the porch with the SAME nails!!! I complained to housing about this, but no response.

Also maintence workers are allowed to come into your dorm, but are supposed to annouced themselves, once a worker knocked but didnt yell MAINTENANCE, like they usually do. Before I could say who is it, they opened the door. Guess what?? I was topless!! I reported this immediately to the Housing Department and complained to my RA, but i do not believe this person was reprimanded!

GMU brags about being the most diverse school, but if you go into the JC one day you will see how diverse GMU is. Yes, GMU is a very diverse school, but everyone is set in there own ethnic, racial, athletic, fraternity/sorority clique. That was EXTREMLY disappointing to me.

There are many intercultural events, but usually the majority of people of that same culture will attend.

Parking is horrible!!!!

So overall, I like GMU, but I have had so many bad situations which have outweighed my first impression about Gmu. I did not realize my experience until i sat down today to write this. I feel disappointed because Ive done everything to feel like a fully rounded student-join clubs, sports teams, & school spirit. But maybe GMU was not the school for me. So do not take this as advice, take my respone as an experience.

So all i really care about now is graduating. Sad, right?

George Mason University