StudentsReview :: Macalester College - Extra Detail about the Comment

Friendly, Arrogant, Condescending, Self Absorbed

ACT:28
D+
Campus Maintenance
She cares more about Educational Quality than the average student.
Date: May 25 2004
Major: Geography and Geosciences (This Major's Salary over time)
Mac was the worst school for me. I started liking it and all, but it was filled with snobby liberals. That I used "liberal" as an insult is a result of my "eduganda" from Mac. I consider myself a liberal, but this place made me seem conservative. There were rumors of a Republican group on campus; I bet they lived in fear. A day didn't go by without some sort of protest or awareness group disrupting campus. I'm all for awareness of serious issues, but all the activity actually made me apathetic to EVERY cause. I couldn't even muster enough concern for homeless animals and I love animals!

The profs were very friendly, but they were also snobby. There was this atmosphere at the school that if you didn't plan to change the world upon graduation, you were basically scum. Excuse me, *I* was scum apparently because my dream is to have my very own bookstore. The people at Macalester apparently don't seem to realize that not everyone can change the world. Of course, they also might think that's for the people who didn't make the cut, a view I think is elitist and dehumanizing. Oh I'm not as smart as you? Well thank you massa, I'll get to work pushin' that broom right away!

I got into Macalester because I'm damned smart. But I should have gone to University of Wyoming (my current college) to begin with. As a geology major, I would have been screwed going into the geology field with a Macalester degree. Oh sure, I could ride on the prestige of the degree itself for a while, but eventually I would be expected to actually know something about my chosen field. Let me put it this way: When I transferred to UW, after three full years at Macalester, I discovered the requirement difference for a geology degree was so different that I would have to take another four years just to make up for all the wasted tuition from Macalester. Macalester required a semester of statistics as the math requirement, one semester of chemistry, one semester of physics. UW requires up through Calculus 2 as a minimum, one year of chem as a minimum, and one year of physics as a minimum. That's not even counting the geology classes themselves. Macalester actually retarded my math skills as I didn't have anything other than a semester of statistics so by the time I got here, my head was too full of what I'd been told to think about my "women in art" classes and my "cultural awareness classes."

It really was cool to be in a school with such a high percentage of international students and the campus was pretty, but that's not something to base an education on. Of course the atmosphere also contributed to this negative review. I came to Mac one of those rare colorblind people. Especially having grown up in the south. After three years at Macalester with all their "awareness" forced on me, I am terrified of people who aren't white because I'm afraid I'll do something wrong. I don't want to be terrified, but Macalester left me this way. And despite being a liberal college, it's so liberal that it turns around and becomes close-minded again. I no longer view myself as a liberal, conservative, etc, because I don't want to be lumped with people like the ones at Mac who ACTUALLY signed a friend's petition banning dihydrogen monoxide. I choose my position based on the issue, not what people around me are doing. Look, not all Mac students are like that. I found a group of great people I'm still friends with that were decent, non-insane people. Unfortunately, that wasn't enough to keep the rest at bay.

Whoever said it's a good value for the money must come from a family that has enough money to spend $27,000 a year on this place. I'm in debt up to my ears trying to pay for Mac and all I got out of it was the ability to call someone crazy in Japanese.

Macalester College ga kichigai-des!

Compare MacalesterSave Macalester