StudentsReview :: Oakland University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Central Michigan University -- Mount Pleasant, MI

Oakland University

Alumni Survey

Date: Jun 04 2004
Major: Education (This Major's Salary over time)
I would say that my student teaching experience was terrible. I would say I was treated quite unfairly during that time. But also, it wasn't the right field for me. I loved the liberal arts courses. What I really gained from Oakland University was the ability to think logically, perform research, and write very well. I transferred to OU after being away at college. Being away wasn't good for me. It was hard to meet people at first, but once in the college of education, I became more aquainted with people.

Also, I had 48 credits in music and they were all transferable or taken at Oakland. However, the education college did not count these for a major or minor. I ended up with a "fine arts" minor and language arts major because I had so many literature courses. So, if you transfer into the college of education, be careful. I had 178 credits in total and they acted like they were doing me a favor granting me my degree when student teaching was unsuccessful. In their defense, some faculty members did try to steer me into another major other than elementary education.

Compare OaklandSave Oakland