StudentsReview :: Hampton University - Extra Detail about the Comment

SafetyB
Arrogant, Snooty

Helpful, Self Absorbed

ACT:23
id='quarter' class='snapshot' style='color: #977500; line-height:80px';float:left;
SAT1350
Campus Maintenance
D
Campus Aesthetics/ Beauty
A
She cares more about Social Life than the average student.
Date: Jun 24 2004
Major: Political Science (This Major's Salary over time)
I agree with whoever wrote the article and said that they wasted a year at Hampton. I feel the exact same way. Some may say that the reason you are in school is to learn and get an education. But, those same people will tell you that without the outside activities (parties, malls, beaches, etc.), their experience at Hampton would have sucked too. I can not lie there is much to do at Hampton. There are so many organizations to be involved in that some of them have become ridiculous (i.e. The Club for Women with Natural Hair-What is that about?) But, honestly how many clubs, not just greek organizations, do you have to be "initiated" into. Almost every social group or organization at this overrated university hazes. I lived in what I believed to be the worst freshman female dorm-Davidson Hall. Don't get me wrong, I love my Divas, but the dorm was trash. The only reason I didn't complain as much as I wanted to was because I was the co-captain of the SECOND PLACE AND MOST CREATIVE AND PRECISE 2003 DAVIDSON HALL STEP TEAM. I can honestly say that the step show was an experience that I could not have gotten anywhere else. But, come on, when you think back-Was it really that serious? There were a record breaking number of fights and it had to be the most horrible freshman week in history of HBCU's. All this is because the "old-heads" who lived in your "beloved" dorm before you gas your head up to believe that you are part of this important and elite society now. All because you were placed in a dorm that you probably didn't even request to live in and had no idea about. Then, you try out for a step team that you have no idea will haze you. Next,you step and compete against a group of girls that you now dispise but barely even know. Throughout all of this you are losing sleep and spending time snooping around on some chicks that will probably be your next door neighbors next year. They allowed me to get so overwhelmed by their hate for other female freshman dorms that I was ready to kick a girl's butt for disrespecting my dorm. Now that I look back…Was that raggedy, infested dorm worth all that time and energy??

I won't complain about the food because most HBCU cafeteria are horrible. Even my friends from Howard, Clark, and Fisk say they rarely eat in the caf. But, to be completely shut down for weeks because you can't pass inspection…that's ridiculous. My first time eating in the caf (my friends forced me and I was broke and tired of Chanello's) a roach crawled onto my tray as I was getting ready to pick it up to empty it. To make up for it, the caf administration offered me a free meal the next day…What in the world? Overall, the education is average and not all it is pumped up to be. Hampton academics, from my experience, are not about studying and excelling, but moreso finding someone who has taken the class to sell you the cheat sheet (or any other way you can beat the system). But, then again maybe that is what America and real world has become anyway..maybe Hampton does prepare you…!! I would not discourage or encourage anyone looking to attend Hampton. I can only tell them what I know, and this is it! I was torn between Hampton and Howard and my deciding factor (since both schools seemed to have everything I needed) was the fact that Howard was a little closer to the "ghetto" and Hampton had this gorgeous waterfront campus. Come to find out after visiting Howard on a regular day (not high school day) that the environment seemed to make the people more down to earth..although they were a fashion show too..but what black school isn't. Hampton seemed to be more of a show though. Either you are a nerd, a lame, a fake (the reincarnated thugs who attended private high schools in the good parts of New York), a slut, a dumb jock, a pervert, or a snob who came from an average income family and thinks he or she is rich and famous because they own a LV purse and a pair of Gucci loafers they bought off E-Bay. Glad I won't be an "illustrious" Hamptonian next year.

ONE LOVE,

SHARDEY FROM CASHVILLE

P.S. all comments can be sent to me e-mail address.

questionWhat was the hazing process like?
Compare HamptonSave Hampton