StudentsReview :: The University of California - Irvine - Extra Detail about the Comment

University of California -- San Diego, CA

Excess Competition
D
Campus Aesthetics/ Beauty
A
She cares more about Excess Competition than the average student.
Date: Aug 05 2004
Major: Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc (This Major's Salary over time)
College is what you make of it. UCI, although it is not a great school, it is not a horrible school. The social aspect is so-so, as you have to look for something to do for fun, since south orange county is a boring place. It's a decent school though, depending on your major. I have many friends in the sciences and humanities, and I hear that those are UCI's strengths. However, I cannot say the same for the Studio Art department. Although there are very few instructors who are helpful or approachable, I would have to say that for the most part, a majority of the faculty are self-absorbed, cocky, arrogant, and only into their own work. The students in my department also lack the drive and creativity, thus resulting in low competition. I think the faculty and the environment has something to do with this because they're not very encouraging and this can be seen during critiques. The instructors do not push the students by being too nice and not encouraging the students to speak, resulting in SILENT critiques. Seriously, nobody speaks and i have a feeling that many students wait last minute to finish a project because so many things look so half-assed. In fact, I find myself to be the only one taking advantage of using the art studios for my homework. I'll be in there from 4pm-11pm daily and i'm the ONLY ONE in there working. What i found very disappointing is the fact that i would be in my intermediate drawing class, look at the person next to me to see that this idiot can't even draw a box in correct 2 point perspective. How the heck did he/she pass basic drawing? This is what i'm talking about. Also with the digital arts minor, the program is also very weak. It takes like 3 weeks to teach very basic skills in photoshop or illustrator and the instructors are self absorbed and unapproachable as well. I became a studio art major because I am pursuing an art/design career and i was hoping that taking studio art courses would help me build a foundation, but unfortunately that's not the case. Although I did learn how to read art conceptually and I did find my upper division drawing and painting classes enjoyable and helpful, i cannot say the same for everything else. Most of the classes i took in my major are just BS filler classes that have no importance to life whatsoever. I had to take classes at community colleges to take relevant courses. If you are pursuing an art or design career, my advice to you is not to go to UCI. Go to a real art school, like Cal Arts, ARt Center, San francisco ARt institute, Rhode Island School of Design, California college of the arts, Otis, or any other properly accredited art college.

Your college experience is what you make of it. In the end , it's your decisions that matter, not your teachers'. Nobody is going to hold your hand. As a college student, you're on your way to being a responsible adult, so it's time to make your own decisions. If you plan to succeed in life, it's your work ethic and decision making that matters most, not the school that you go to. UC Irvine is an excellent school if you are pursuing a degree in the sciences or liberal arts. However, for fine arts, look elsewhere. The Studio ARt department is a joke and the faculty don't care about you.

questionHi,

Do you know how the music department is? Thank you

The University of California - Irvine