StudentsReview :: The University of Phoenix Phoenix Campus - Extra Detail about the Comment

Tulsa Community College -- Tulsa, OK

Friendly, Arrogant, Condescending, Unhelpful, Self Absorbed

Super Brilliant
Creativity/ Innovation
A
He cares more about University Resource Use than the average student.
Date: Oct 11 2004
Major: Unknown (This Major's Salary over time)
I have both positve and negative comments on UoP. First, for those seeking an Undergraduate Degree: If you are getting a degree in field where you have experience, this school is for you. UoP classes will add to your knowlege and provide credentials for you to get ahead in your field.

If you do not have experience, and want to learn the basics, find another school. For the IT program, UoP does provide any hands on training in class, unless you provide your own laptop. They also do not cover cover the basics, i.e. fundamelntals of digital technology. I am just finishing the BSIT protram. I had more than 23 years of electronics background, 14 of those years teaching the subject. Although I did not have a difficult time, I would have been lost if I did not have a foundation to work with . I met some students who had not IT background and had a very difficult time. But many of them made it… However, they were not very confident in their knowlege of IT.

FACULTY: While most of the faculty was good (some were great), there were several instructors that were completely incompetent. One instructor even told us that he was fired from his last job because they said he was incompetent. Another instructor spoke English so poorly, nobody understood a word he said for the entire five-week course.

FACILITIES: I have attended UoP at two different on-ground campuses: South Coast (Costa Mesa) and La Mirada. The South Coast Campus, which was moved from Fountain Valley at the end of 2003, is a very nice campus. However, the rooms did not have enough power outlets for students to use laptop computers. If you recall, I mentioned that UoP does not provide computers for hands-on training. Regarding the La Mirada Campus: STAY AWAY FROM IT. The campus is located among a cluster of warehouses and recycling yards. The campus itself is in a bad state of disrepair, the elevators lurch violently when people are entering or leaving. Another irritant is the Southern-Pacific Railroad tracks right behinde the building. Online/Flexnet: The courses are good, but UoP uses Outlook Express for course access. The use of Outlook Express exposes students to an increased risk of virus and hacker attacks. I received MANY virus infected messages through the UoP servers. Other facility problems: UoP is very slow to fix problems with classroom equipment. I was in a classroom where the projector was so dim, you could barely see the sreen with all room lights off. I complained about this for months with no results. I had to file an Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) complaint to force UoP to respond.

BOOK SERVICES/LIBRARY: UoP recently tansistioned from hard-copy books to online ONLY. This is totally unacceptable. Some of the books are in .pdf format, and UoP only provides the sections covered in class. This means that you usually do not have access to the index or Table of Contents. This makes research difficult, to impossible. Other books are part of the

Safari Online Library
, while these provide a complete book, it is very inconvenient to study, as you need a computer and net connection to access the books.

TECHNOLOGY: As stated earlier, UoP does not provide computers for hands-on training. If you do not have access to computers and network equipment, you will only have "book knowlege". UoP does use an Computer-Based Training (CBT) system called NETg. I have developed CBT and I can definately say that NETg is the worst system tha I ever saw. There are numerous problems with the software, too many to list, however here is a small sample: Many times it marks a response as incorrect when you answered correctly. Many of hte NETg courses are disjointed and confusing. The on-screen font is approximatly 6.5 pitch, making it very difficult to view, the font is NOT resizable. SOME OF THE INSTRUCTORS USE YOUR NETg SCORE AS PART OF YOUR GRADE! One other problem is that some of the courses are very outdated. We were using C programming language, and a very poorly designed compiler for programming classes. There was no reason that UoP could not have used a mainstream development tool such as Microsoft Visual Studio.net!

COMPLAINT PROCESS: At the end of each course, UoP has a course evaluation for the students to fill out. I do not think they read them. UoP simply does not respond to complaints! In one class, we had an an very poor instructor. When we had the same instructor scheduled for a future class. We submitted a petition requesting a different instructor. The school's response was

UoP does not accept petitions.
At least this time we had a response. Most times the school simply ignored the complaints.

SUMMARY: Despite the negative points listed, UoP is not a bad school. We did have some outstanding instructors, and I did learn a lot of information. The class format is very relaxed, makig a comfortable learning environment. Some of my fellow students attended "traditional" schools before switching to UoP and said that they were much more comfortable in UoP's classes.

My only suggestion to UoP is start listening to your students (customers).

Compare UPhoenix-PhoenixSave UPhoenix-Phoenix