StudentsReview :: Hillsdale College - Extra Detail about the Comment

Surrounding CityB- Extra CurricularsB+
SafetyA+
Friendly, Arrogant, Approachable

ACT:23
id='quarter' class='snapshot' style='color: #009704; line-height:80px';float:left;
B-
Faculty Accessibility
She cares more about Useful Schoolwork than the average student.
Date: Mar 08 2005
Major: Journalism (This Major's Salary over time)
Yes it's in the middle of no where, but those of us who never learned how to hail a taxi when we were younger are ok with the small town lifestyle. I lived in Washington State so the hardest thing I had to learn to live without was my Starbucks. BUT!! They brew a mean vanilla latte on campus, so my late night cram sessions were rewarded with a sweet remembrance of home town goodies.

Hillsdale is a traditionally conservative school. Meaning boys open doors for girls and there is this old fashioned thing called respect still prominent on campus. Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% for women's rights and equality but you won't find a feminist bra burning rally on this campus. But, coming from the West Coast, conservative still means you may have a little liberal mixed in. It was so refreshing to come to Hillsdale after being suffocated by teachers with a left wing agenda. Surprisingly enough, I sometimes found myself to be more liberal than a lot of my peers. So honestly, find a college that you can fit into politically, it really will make or break those long class room discussions. If you are an intense tree hugging, John Kerry idolizing liberal, Hillsdale probably isn’t the place for you. That’s why they have Berkley.

I remember coming to Hillsdale as a prospective student and remembering how friendly everyone was. And Admissions let me tell you what a treat those ladies are! They are your mom's when mom (like mine) is 2500 miles away. It was hard the first month or so, being so far from home, but the ladies in admissions are so wonderful that you soon aren't missing home so much.

So here's a little advice:

In Washington our weather ranges from 36-50 degrees YEAR ROUND. So you can imagine the shock I experienced when I saw snow, and the thermometer drop below 10 degrees. Dress warmly, invest in an electric blanket.

Be yourself, seriously. There is such a vast array of different types of people here, you don't have to mold to try to fit with a certain group (yes we all thought cliques were a high school thing only).

Don’t drive your first year. People will become car mooches and you’ll never have time for the massive amount of schoolwork b/c you’ll be too busy driving people to Wally World.

Compare HillsdaleSave Hillsdale