StudentsReview :: Pepperdine University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Surrounding CityC Extra CurricularsB-
SafetyA+
Friendly, Arrogant, Approachable, Snooty, Closeminded

ACT:33
id='quarter' class='snapshot' style='color: #977500; line-height:80px';float:left;
SAT1400
C
Faculty Accessibility
He rated most things higher than other students did.
Date: Mar 12 2005
Major: Chemistry (This Major's Salary over time)
Well I'm really not that religious, so take what I have in stride. I'll start with the education requirements. The GE's here suck, plain and simple. Most colleges the GE's can at least fit into your major and what not, and you have VARIETY in what you can take. Not so at most GE's here. Think hard before you come here if you can really take THREE SEMESTERS of religion, it's a bit ridiculous. Convocation sucks, it's pointless and nobody likes it but they still have it. From what I've experienced, and take regard I'm a first year student, the academic rigor is quite low. I'm in science classes, which I hear should be the hardest, but they're extremely easy without putting too much effort into them. Every other class as well, if you put even a little efort in, you can get an A. This sounds great, but it makes you think you should be going to a better school. The people here are certainly not focused on academics. It's like high school, where if you don't try it's "cool" and people laugh about doing badly. The teachers are good though, you do learn material and they're there for you if you ever need them. Financial aid is pretty good, I have half tuition. Everyone I talk to seems to have quite a bit, unless they're pretty dumb and their dad got them in. I think you get $8000 if you're Church of Christ, which is ridiculous and stupid, but oh well I'll join the Church this summer! As for social life, it's really what you make of it. Its a cliquey school, judged on which sorority or frat you're in. The first thing people ask is which one you're in. That's fine, I'm in one and it's okay, and you can definitely do your fair share of drinking here. Partying, on the other hand, is tough to find. It's not a normal college experience in that sense, the parties are pretty tame and many people frequent bars, the Malibu Inn and the ever-classy Dume Room. Fake IDs are a must here. Unfortunately, drinking and driving occurrs quite often and is tough to avoid. People are quite conservative, a majority extremely racist, most homophobic, and of course very religious. The beach is nice, but take into account that from like November to March it's between 55-65 so you can't really enjoy the beach very much. You also need a car to go, and other places too. It's about a 25 minute drive to Westwood, if you want to go to USC it's about 40 minutes. Good clubs in Hollywood are nearly impossible to get into, but you can get into some. Malibu is a nice place to stroll around during the day, occassionally seeing a celebrity, but definitely not too often. Overall I'm satisfied with my experience and am glad I came to at least witness Malibu and Southern California, but if you want a good academic school don't come here. Go to UCLA or USC if you're from CA or a higher-rated school if you're out of state. I'll probably transfer, but I'm just glad I got a year of ease and vacation here.
questionI'm not very religious either, so i'm kinda nervous about applying to pepperdine.i know that the school itself enforces religion, but are the students really like that? i'm worried about being able to find friends.
Pepperdine University