StudentsReview :: Santa Clara University - Extra Detail about the Comment

San Diego State University -- San Diego, CA

Santa Clara University

Alumni Survey

Date: Mar 16 2005
Major: Political Science (This Major's Salary over time)
SCU was a great school for me. Academically it is harder than its reputation, at least as far as I was aware. I stumbled a bit in the beginning, thanks in equal parts to undiagnosed ADD & beer, but as I grew comfortable in my majors (History & Poli Sci) everything seemed to click. Both departments are haighly regarded by other schools and the faculty are warm, engaging, challenging and very, very smart.

After graduation I was surprised to hear how highly regarded Santa Clara is throughout the nation. Almost everyone, upon hearing what school I attended, said,

Wow! That is a VERY GOOD school.
I think that knowledge had a some impact when I was hired, but it had a 'huge' impact on how I was perceived by colleagues and on promotions.

The school is obviously not for everyone, but I found it very fulfilling. I made wonderful, life-long friends, particularly in my dorm freshman year, and I found it easy to participate in extra-curicular activities. Student Council, TSC (the newspaper), and Rowing, helped balance my studies.

I did miss out on the school spirit of larger, more athletic schools, and the greek system at SCU is weak, but on the flip side, the smaller population allowed for small classes (most of my classes my senior year had 12 or fewer students) and a weak Greek means you don't need to be Greek in order to have a social life.

Santa Clara University