StudentsReview :: Virginia Military Institute - Extra Detail about the Comment

SAT1180
Social Life
C+
Faculty Accessibility
He rated most things higher than other students did.
Date: Mar 27 2005
Major: Economics (This Major's Salary over time)
As I sit here in Iraq contemplating what to write for this survey, the thought of Citizen Soldier comes to mind. I have not been back to VMI since '99 because I missed the reunion last fall when I was recalled to active duty after 9yrs. I left VMI in ’89 and served 5 yrs Active duty, resigned and put my wife through medical school. I entered the “real world” and ended up VP of an IT Consulting Firm. After 911 the call went out and I got a letter, report in 30 days. Half the people who got the same letter I did, did not report, most were people who took from the military and their country and did not answer the call and were obligated because of their contract. Some, like myself, owed nothing to the Army as I completed my contract in 1997. So for the last 6 months I have been on active duty, with a wife and a 2 yr old at home, not to mention the pay cut. What does VMI teach you, Duty above self, Honor and Self respect and somewhere in between you get a pretty good education. Since the Civil War we have come when called. We are here now, my class graduated about 180 out of 360 who started with our class and probably 50 of them are on, or back on active duty, most were recalled from their civilian jobs and some are here for a second time, either here or in Afghanistan. We are Citizen Soldiers. I hope that my comments were useful.
Compare VMISave VMI