StudentsReview :: The University of California - Berkeley - Extra Detail about the Comment

Stanford University -- Stanford, CA

Average
C
Campus Aesthetics/ Beauty
B+
He cares more about Educational Quality than the average student.
Date: Apr 09 2005
Major: English (This Major's Salary over time)
I am a junior transfer student and am almost done with my first year . Berkeley has been a trying experience for me. I have some days where I feel good about being here and other days where I want to break something. Unfortunately, the bad days far outnumber the good. I dunno, the pretentious attitude (or at least what I perceive as such) really gets irritating. There are only three things Berkeley students seem to discuss: school, politics, and philosophy. Great for a lot of people, but damn, it gets old! Anyone watch the game last night? Anyone? No? Oh, you want to analyze the meaning of the word "the" and how it ties into the author's critique of human existence again, don't you? Oh look, another half-baked student group protesting some issue they only sort of know about. Hey! that guy's urinating on a bus shelter!

Berkeley crushed my self confidence. I went from feeling fairly confident in my abilities to feeling like a chewed-up wad of gum on the pavement of Sproul Plaza. Just to think, I was actually excited about going to Cal before classes started this school year.

A piece of advice: avoid settling on a major until you get a feel for the department. Oy. I made the mistake of assuming Berkeley's English department would be somewhere along the lines of what I've experienced in the past, but I was horribly wrong. I'm kind of stuck in the English major now, being it's too late for me to get out. IF YOU ARE A TRANSFER STUDENT, AVOID BERKELEY. It is best to start at Berkeley as a freshman and get a feel for the place and the field you are considering majoring in.

Does this mean Berkeley sucks? Not necessarily. I have had some good experiences at Cal. But it just hasn't quite worked out for me.

Compare UC-BerkeleySave UC-Berkeley