StudentsReview :: Western Michigan University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Central Michigan University -- Mount Pleasant, MI
University of Michigan Ann Arbor -- Ann Arbor, MI

Alumni Survey

Date: Apr 18 2005
Major: Aerospace Engineering (This Major's Salary over time)
WMU is an "ok" school. I was actually in the Aeronautial engineering program (but that is not one of the options in the menu). I choose WMU simply because it offered the most financial aid, and U of M offered almost nothing. WMU is inexpensive, and Kalamazoo is MUCH cheaper to live in compared to Ann Arbor.

The "only" benefit WMU's aero program has over UM is WMU's is/was hands on, and that was really my major selling point when looking for employment. Except I have observed the professor that taught the "hands on" aero classes is no longer listed as faculty on the WMU web site. Otherwise the school in general did nothing to help me or my class mates find a job in the aerospace industry. In interviews with major aerospace companies a WMU grad is in the shadow of U of M, and will make less than a U of M college hire (that is from personal experience). To WMU's credit a U of M aero undergrad is no smarter. I believe WMU's education was better in the aircraft side of aerospace than UM.

WMU (in my opinion) is more focused on speding money on atheletics or fancy new building than academics. The gym has/had longer hours than the library (the library sucks for engineering purposes), and engineering computer lab sucked hind tit (compared to other labs).

The aero undergrad classes were always small (less than 20)and the aero faculty were helpful and usually were approachable (I can not make the same claim about the ME faculty).

As far as socially, I think WMU has an edge over UM from an engineer's point of view. WMU's engineering program was on central campus, and did not feel speparated from everyone else. The social oppurtunities were there, partys, clubs … etc.

Compare WMUSave WMU