StudentsReview :: Sweet Briar College - Extra Detail about the Comment

Friendly, Arrogant, Self Absorbed

SAT1210
D+
Creativity/ Innovation
She cares more about Individual Value than the average student.
Date: Jul 26 2005
Major: Education (This Major's Salary over time)
I just finished my first year at SBC. This school appears perfect on the outside, and indeed has an unbeatably beautiful campus and wonderful teachers. However, I didn't find that it made up for the nature of the students or the hipocracy of the morals SBC claims to uphold.

Unfortunatly, if you are looking for interesting, diverse, intellegent people who are not sheltered or self-absorbed, you should probably look elsewhere. That may sound harsh, and it's true that some are bright and strong women, but most of the people there are concerned for themselves, and almost the entirety of the freshman class consisted of "preppy" sheltered white girls who had their way paid for them.

In my experiance, the education and art department (both in my major) consisted of amazing, helpful, brilliant teachers who teach interesting and informative classes. I can't say much for the academic challenge, but the nature of these professors and classes more than makes up for it.

One of the biggest systems that SBC upholds is the honor code system. I'm afraid to say that no one really cares about this "honor code," from the students to the administration. Here was my situation: Girls on my hall were breaking into an unused room to drink alcohol and party. A few hallmates and I told the woman in charge of our dorm. A week later, she held a meeting in our hall, and told everyone to "pretend it never happened" so we could all just get along. After this, I told everyone from the people in charge of the student judicial system to the Dean, and nothing was done about it.

If you come to this school, be sure to come with a car. The surrounding town isn't all that great, and you can't even get to it from the campus. There is nothing to walk to, and the major hang-out place of the school is Wal Mart. That may be ok with some people, but others can get serious cabin fever.

The dorms are spacious and extremely beautiful, even the freshman dorms. This does mean that the drama involved in picking a dorm room runs high, but that's worth it to most people. Seriously, hardwood floors and ceiling fans, big windows and big rooms, and one dorm on campus that's more like an apartment, with an upstairs loft. Most of them have great common rooms as well.

Some of you looking at this school might be worried about it being an all-girl's school. If this worries you socially, let me assure you that there is no lack of boys on weekends and events, and even on weeknights. Sometimes I personally missed having boys in my classes, but for most girls this is not a problem. Also, UVA is very close and easily accessable on weekends, as someone's always going over there. VMI as well, if that's your type.

This school isn't progressive as far as feminism, and the

all girl's schools are full of lesbians
steriotype doesn't really apply. There are a few feminists and lesbians, but almost none are outward about it. The school focuses heavily on religion and most of the campus seems quite conservative. It's a very typically southern school.

One more thing: the history. The school was once a plantation. (there's even a slave cabin still there, used now as a museum) The woman who owned it established the school in memory of her daughter, Daisy, a smart girl who died at 16. Her grave is veiwable from most places on the campus, and yes, there are many ghost stories being thrown around. That creeps some people out, but if you go there, do NOT read the ghost stories until you're out of the school!

I didn't find anything I liked enough about this school to stay there, and after many bad experiances I refuse to return even one more semester. It simply wasn't worth my money. This school has a great academic program yet is only one step up from being a soutern finishing school. If that doesn't bother you, go for it.

Compare SBCSave SBC