StudentsReview :: Truman State University - Extra Detail about the Comment

University of Missouri Columbia -- Columbia, MO

Truman State University

Alumni Survey

Date: Oct 23 2005
Major: English (This Major's Salary over time)
Find a major you enjoy, but it's also important to know what you'll be able to do with that major when you get out. While studying philosophy or classical literature may be fun in college (and provide a great deal of personal growth) establish a plan for after college. Truman can be one of the greatest experiences of your life, but it can also be little more than a hiatus from reality. Just remember that your Truman experience is more than just an educational experience—it is an opportunity for personal growth, to help strengthen the foundation for the type of person you will be for the rest of your life.

Do I have regrets about my time at Truman? Sure. I think everyone does. However, when I was having a rough time during college, I realized that I alone am responsible for how the circumstances of my life affect me.

Instead of complaining about how much Kirksville sucks because there's not a mall (which, if you go up there, you'll be tempted to do so), find something else to do. Instead of going home to St. Louis or Kansas City every weekend, hang out at Thousand Hills for a Saturday. Instead of whining about not having any fun distractions, make your own.

Kirksville is just a place. College is an experience, the circumstances and emotions of which are up to you.

Good luck!