StudentsReview :: Harding University - Extra Detail about the Comment

SAT1200
Creativity/ Innovation
Campus Aesthetics/ Beauty
A
He cares more about Individual Value than the average student.
Date: Mar 08 2006
Major: Accounting (This Major's Salary over time)
I'm a graduate from the late 80's so take this in that context.

My religious education at Harding was first rate. I became an athiest. If a personal relationship with God makes people act like the administrators, students and certain teachers at this school, then the last thing I want is such a relationship.

I initially majored in spades but changed over to hearts in my sophomore year. I graduated in three years with an accounting degree.

The least the university could do is give everyone a minor in bible since they require everyone to take more than enough classes to qualify for one.

Looking back on elementary school today, I wonder why we had to go everywhere in a straight line. Likewise, I wonder why Harding felt that

young Christian adults
had to be treated like 13 year olds at summer camp.

The faculty are generally mediocre. There is no research or publishing to speak of in the university. No diversity of thought or recognized expertise in individually selected fields. A very high percentage lack a doctoral degree. This includes the 38 year old son of the president who is dean of the business school. He has only a BBA and an unaccredited masters from Harding.

In the business school you tend to get washed out cofC business executives who want to semi-retire.

I had actually graduated before I heard the phrase "academic freedom". There is none here. If a professor doesn't hew closely to the rural cofC line he or she is out very quickly. Not only are there no free-thinkers, there is no one who realizes there are no free-thinkers.

Your probablility of marriage at an obscenely young age is very high at this institution. I still remember the quote

any two normal opposite-sex adults can be happily married to one another for a lifetime.
This came in a required Christian Marriage and Family class. It was coupled with a message that the world at large is generally a bad place to find a mate while Harding is an excellent place. Most of my peers were married by 24. Many by 22.

One young lady indicated there was plenty of partying and drinking on campus. I never saw it but I knew I was in the wrong crowd for that and suspected that others might do such things. Personally I felt guilty when I drank a beer at home 500 miles away between semesters.

commentResearch supplies and books are being added, I feel you undergrade the value of a " mediocre faculty." I found " administrators childres" that were helpful and approachable while I was there.
commentI love Harding AND loved what it promised in our younger years as students, Yes, it is possible transferring and freshman students need to prepare for what four years of study and campus life will be like. Yes, the University administration can do better at addressing the experience and needs of each of their students. Great academics, I am probably the snobby, " book smart" graduate and student such as yourself. :)
Harding University