StudentsReview :: San Francisco Art Institute - Extra Detail about the Comment

San Diego State University -- San Diego, CA

San Francisco Art Institute

Alumni Survey

Date: May 30 2006
Major: Art & Design Department (This Major's Salary over time)
Basically SFAI has been saying, "Baby I can change, just give me one more chance," for the 15 years since I was there. I still have shows, I still work on art, but I have never had anyone say that what I did was anything other than an excercise in self-congratulation (self-immolation?). To be well edjucated and not acknowledged is bad enough, but… The job resources are non-existent, the administration incompetent (a new plan emerges every year or so on what will fix the school), and they refuse to higher full time faculty, or organize anything alumn oriented (jobs, even info, anything in fact)… and so morale is understandable about as bad as it can be. And enrollment continues to drop, while the price of tuition rises. I have known people who have taught there, and although they appreciate the students being bright (when they aren't looking down on them for not responding to traditional techniques and since all the administration does is farm in labor for a year or two, no professor actually gets to know what students in an alternative enviornment need, and no one checks in on the hired part time no tenure professors to make sure they are in fact competent to teach in an alternative environment - and btw some aren't). Every single person I know has failed to make money as an artist, and we are all very cynical, despite the fact that many of us have had prestigious shows and recieve international invitations to biennials or festivals of art or otherwise. Compound this with the fact that SFAI is in bed with nearly every important gallery and museum in the U.S. and it gets even bleaker when you consider how little they do for those they are suppose to be there for.
Compare SFAISave SFAI