StudentsReview :: Eastern Washington University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Eastern Washington University

Alumni Survey

Date: Dec 31 1969
Major: Psychology (This Major's Salary over time)
There weren't many comments about EWU, so I thought I should make my opinion known! This could end up being long…

First off, it had never been my lifelong dream to attend EWU. I ended up there because I got a great scholarship, and I wasn't in the financial position to argue with free money, especially when I was not a 4.0 high school student or anything like that. I had planned on going to EWU for a year or two and then transferring, but in a year I had fallen in love with the place and couldn't see myself anywhere else.

Academically, I was really pleased by the quality of classes…freshman year, my gen eds were quite easy (at least I thought so…lots of people disagreed with me, though) and I got away with A's in classes that I skipped at least once a week. Things got progressively harder with each year, but I also put more pressure on myself each year to get straight A's even as my classes got tougher. 90% of my professors were in the tolerated to absolutely adored range…I can only think of maybe 3 or 4 in my entire academic career that I just despised.

A word to the wise- get your gen eds out of the way by the end of your sophomore year. Trust me, you will be hating yourself when you're sitting in some 101 class as a junior or senior.

I majored in the CEDP department (applied psych) and I cannot say enough how great this school is if you're interested in psychology. We're the only school I know of that has two psych departments (general and applied), which gives students so many opportunities to both take classes from a broad spectrum of areas in psychology and concentrate on the area they're most interested in (for me, it was developmental psychology, something I wouldn't have been able to concentrate on until grad school at most universities). The CEDP department also requires a 600 hour internship in your senior year, which was an amazing experience for me and something that I probably would not have done had I not been required to (but I'm so thankful I did, because it looks impressive on a resume). I also felt that, compared to my peers who went to other universities as undergrads, I was much more prepared for grad school (both in my background knowledge of psychology and general academic skills like writing).

I also would suggest working (or at least volunteering) on campus in an area that interests you, even if it's not directly related to your major…I worked (and volunteered) with international students and that experience helped me land my first job post-grad school.

Dorm life was not my thing (I didn't like the lack of privacy), but the accomodations were nicer than those of my friends at other colleges and although you may not believe it, the food is so much better than that at any other college I've visited.

Basically, EWU is what you make of it. There's plenty of chances to get wasted at a frat party and take easy classes if that's what you want to do, or you can challenge yourself and take advantage of all the opportunities that Eastern offers (and hey, you could even do a little of both if that's your thing!)

Basically, I can't recommend Eastern enough. Check it out! :D

What are the student's like? what is the dominant race? boy-to-girl ratio? i'm from hawaii, are there frat's and such? how was your social life?
Compare EWUSave EWU