StudentsReview :: Pitzer College - Extra Detail about the Comment

Occidental College -- Los Angeles, CA

Pitzer College

Alumni Survey

Date: Oct 15 2006
Major: History/Histories (art history/etc.) (This Major's Salary over time)
For H.S. I attended an elite boarding school on the East Coast. When I graduated I wanted to see more of the world and did not want to attend another institution that was going to tell me what I needed to know and study. Pitzer, unlike Pomona and CMC, had the most liberal policy regarding enrollment in courses at the other Claremont Colleges. I took courses at CMC, Pomona and Scripps. My worst course, African American History I & II (poorly taught, too easy and deserved a better effort), was offered through the Black Studies department that was jointly sponsored by the colleges. My only regrets are that I did not continue with Latin (it met very early in the morning)or science courses. I spent a semester working in Washington, D.C. for the National Trust for Historic Preservation and a semester in Rome, Italy, studying Italian history, literature and poltics.

In general, my professores were excellent. Very bright, friendly and willing to go the extra mile to help. For me, the highlight of my Pitzer experience, was getting to know my professors and admiring their dedication and work ethic. They continue to be a role model for me as a teacher. Pitzer profs were known for encouraging students to pursue their academic passions and to approach their work with creativity. This emphasis on creative problem solving has been one of the greatest assests to my professional and personal life. The student body back then had a mixture of hard working and motivated middle class scholarship recipients and wealthy or upper-middle class students…some of whom were motivated to study while others were more focused on partying. I had many friends at the other 5 colleges…so the smallness of Pitzer never suffocated me. I learned a lot from the diversity (economically, socially, racially, relgiously) of students who attended the Claremont Colleges. I have few regrets about attending Pitzer…though I wish I had taken a year-off before attending college. Pitzer is as small or as large as you want to make it. Students need to be mature to take full advantage of the education that it generously provides. And yes…it is better to have a car…or a friend with one. I had something cheaper…a Vespa.

Compare PitzerSave Pitzer