StudentsReview :: St Olaf College - Extra Detail about the Comment

SafetyA
Friendly, Arrogant, Broken Spirit, Closeminded

Friendly, Helpful, Arrogant

ACT:29
id='quarter' class='snapshot' style='color: #977500; line-height:80px';float:left;
Social Life
D+
Faculty Accessibility
A
She cares more about Social Life than the average student.
Date: Dec 23 2006
Major: English (This Major's Salary over time)
I'm in my sophomore at St. Olaf. I'm a German and English double major and will be studying abroad in Germany second semester this year. Both of the programs are great at Olaf; however, I'd prefer to be studying communications, but Olaf doesn't offer it. Academically speaking, Olaf is challenging and exactly what it should be. You get out what you put in in terms of the Education. It wouldn't be impossible to get by without doing much work, but your GPA will reflect that. In my experience at Olaf, I have found it to be excessively Christian and close-minded. If you are a religious person, this place is for you. However, if you're at all like me, get out of Northfield. Religion has never been a big part of my life, yet I am continually bashed over the head with it at Olaf. I'm in a program at St. Olaf called the Great Conversation. You read a lot of great philosophical texts in the course, but all of these texts focus heavily on Christianity. It's a two year program that traces philosophical/religious thought from the Ancient Greeks to present day. We studied Islam for two days.

The administration and red-tape at Olaf is overwhelming. There is very little freedom at Olaf. I'm planning to live off campus next year, but the administration is forcing me to apply and be ok'd to live off campus. The campus is dry, even to of-age students. The policy could change, but students are too spineless to organize anything. The campus also lacks diversity. It is possible for me to go an entire day without seeing an African-American student. If St. Olaf could become more diverse, not just racially but in personality types as well, it could be a great place. However, people are very similar and don't really appear to know how to enjoy themselves. There are those who like to have a good time, but in terms of excitement, Olaf is lacking.

Compare SOCSave SOC