StudentsReview :: The University of Mary Washington - Extra Detail about the Comment

James Madison University -- Harrisonburg, VA

SAT1250
University Resource Use
D+
A-
He cares more about Campus Maintenance than the average student.
Date: Jul 27 2007
Major: English (This Major's Salary over time)
Whatever you do, don't go to the M.Dub. Their pre-college propaganda will try to reel you in, but don't be fooled; it's just another one of Mary's traps. Here's a few reasons why:
  • The food is expensive and not too good. Sure, some people rant on and on about how the food is "horrible," but it's actually quite edible. Just…not good. Save a few things, that is, like the wraps at the Nest, and the sausage 'n egg sandwiches at Seaco. Everything else? Not so much. If you decide to attend, get a Giant card and spend a third to half of the time eating food from there. Or the deli place next to it. It'll save time, money, and your taste buds, trust me.
  • The housing selection process is awful. I was basically deemed homeless for a designated period of time…I was like the last person on the list. Seriously. Luckily, I happened to end up in an apartment because of open space there. One might think that's great, but actually, it wasn't in the end. My apartmates were partying all the time, and if you're a person like me—that is, you have a heavy schedule and need to do your work a lot—you probably wouldn't like that. And if you think the library's gonna help, it can only do so in limited quantities. It can get crowded sometimes, and you may get claustrophobic. The study rooms suck because you can hear the people in the room next to you (which begs the question: perhaps the people suck too?)
  • The people. Don't get me started on the people. I don't question that many people at Mary Washington ARE in fact quite nice. I have met such people there and it was quite the pleasure to do so. My English teachers were especially empathetic and well-meaning people, and I won't forget my time in the department. Out of all the departments that I could have been in there, that by far, was the best to be in. With a Pulitzer Prize-winning teacher, you can't go wrong there. However, as with the food, the same doesn't go for the rest of the school. Again, I won't go on about it, but it's as the previous poster said: it's like high school. Keep that in mind.
  • With the enormous load of gen ed classes, it feels like—you guessed it—high school all over again. At the same time though, I did like a couple of the gen ed courses, namely my philosophy class. Would I do it again though? Heck no. I didn't come to college to spend the entire time muddling through boring biology lectures. Obviously, I would have to take bio, chem, or physics anywhere else, but I'm sure they have better lecturers at say, NYU, than they do at UMW. Of course, I haven't visited NYU, so go figure.
  • In the end, I ended up dropping out of UMW and transfered to a community college for the time being. I'll be finished next year, and hopefully, I'll transfer up north to somewhere like, well, NYU. In the meantime, please do me and yourself a favor and don't come to this school.

Compare UMWSave UMW