StudentsReview :: Hope College - Extra Detail about the Comment

Friendly, Approachable

Average
D
Friendliness
He cares more about Educational Quality than the average student.
Date: Aug 14 2007
Major: Engineering Department (This Major's Salary over time)
I find that Hope is generally a very friendly, albeit uncompetitive, college. Yes, the teachers are helpful, but they really have to be since many of the students refuse to learn independently. I think I'm the only person in the entire school that studies on friday and saturday.

Holland is a nice town, but its no good to college students.

There is a ton of stuff to do on campus, especially in the way of charity work.

The student body is super nice. But I almost feel that such kindness becomes superficial overtime; I wish that just once someone would disagree with me on something. On that note, you won't find productive intellectual/political discussion here, unless it pertains to religion. I just get the overwhelming feeling that nobody is interested in anything they're learning.

The chemistry department is by far the strongest, and there are some incredible research opportunities to be had, comparable to larger universities. But in all, the coursework is not up to snuff in my opinion. I recently took physics at Univ. of Michigan and for the first time it felt like I was in college. I will be transferring soon.

So, if you're looking for a friendly Christian student body and "light" academics, Hope might be right for you.

Compare HopeSave Hope