StudentsReview :: The University of California - Davis - Extra Detail about the Comment

University of California -- Santa Cruz, CA

SAT1570
D+
Safety
A
He cares more about Individual Value than the average student.
Date: Sep 04 2007
Major: Economics (This Major's Salary over time)
Overall, I would rate my experience at UC Davis as subpar. From my observations, there are several negative points of which I think all prospective students should be aware.

My biggest gripe with UCD relates to the attitudes of fellow students. The students are nice and all, but as a whole they strike me as unmotivated and not particularly intelligent. Not everyone will feel the same way I do about this, since it depends on the individual's own expectations and standards, but I think that people looking for hardworking and dedicated peers will be disappointed.

I'm also not too pleased with the student life at UCD. The club scene is pretty barren; aside from religious groups and fraternities/sororities, there aren't many student groups to choose from. As an example to illustrate my point, UCD had no chess club when I arrived in Fall 2005 (even my high school had a chess club, and UCD is over 20x its size!). Student groups provide a great avenue for meeting students with similar interests, so I think it's a shame that UCD has such a lousy club scene.

My final complaint in this review is about the economics department. Instructor quality varies greatly, and while the good ones can be quite good, all it takes is some bad luck to wind up with a bad (sometimes very bad) one. Meanwhile, class sizes are always too big (even in upper division courses) for my taste, greatly reducing individual attention. Expect to commit extra effort if you want to get to know your instructors on any reasonable level. The economics students also disappoint me, as many seem to have weak conceptual grasp of the material. The average ones can usually go through the motions and solve problems all right (not great), but their inability to explain the economic themes at play leaves much to be desired.

Again, not everything about UC Davis is awful, but I think it is important for prospective students to be aware of the negative features I explained above. I have many more opinions to offer (available upon request), but I won't waste everyone's time listing them here.

responseUC Davis has some one the largest amounts of social clubs of any UC with over 450. Dig a little bit deeper.

Also with over 72% of students going to graduate school, in my opinion, the students I have come across are motivated. Maybe we don't study all the time, but is that really a problem?

Students in Davis realize that school is not life or death. We are more relaxed. I took school very seriously but realize the merits of going to say a football game on Saturday. Something I'm guessing this reviewer never has done.

responseI totally disagree with this review! The attitude of the student body is one of the strong points of this school - friendly, intelligent, social, and eager to take advantage of the multitude of opportunities available to them. As for the clubs on campus, there are over 450 of them, ranging from religious to political to musical to just plain fun. Beside, if you're really DYING for a chess club, get some friends together and go up to the Student Programs and Activities Center and MAKE one…it's really not that hard. Finally, UC Davis has one of the strongest social science research programs on the West Coast (believe it or not!). While the attitude of the professors and students can vary from class to class, that should not negate the boundless opportunities for research and learning in the economics department, or any department for that matter. Sure, it's not Harvard…I think it's better.
Compare UC-DavisSave UC-Davis