StudentsReview :: Lake Superior State University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Central Michigan University -- Mount Pleasant, MI

Afraid, Closeminded

Condescending

Campus Maintenance
B
He cares more about Safety than the average student.
Date: Sep 06 2007
Major: Sociology (This Major's Salary over time)
The comments two posts above are right on. Many students come here because it's within their home territory of Upper Michigan. But, they soon transfer elsewhere. It's not too great when it comes down to obtaining the classes you need. Many are not offered except for every other semester or every other year; therefore, many students are on a 6 year+ plan for an undergrad degree. The student numbers have dwindled in the past years too. Tuition is more expensive than MSU!!!!!!!!…for no reason. Very poor university too. I doubt it'll be around in 10 years unless someone comes in a completely turns it around.

Should I even mention all the problems with the athletes? Rapes, violence, drugs, alcohol…I'm not kidding. I could see this stuff happening at a huge college, but this is a small college of 2,500-3,000 in a town of less than 15,000. Word gets around and the media allows it, I'll just say that.

My suggestion: go to a community college and get 80 credits at $45-100 a credit and then transfer to MSU, WMU, NMU, or CMU. Tuition is too high across the board to waste $300/credit at a school like LSSU.

I end this on a positive note: Many classes at LSSU have 6-70 students. Many have less than 20. It's not all that great though if you ask me. Sometimes I'd rather the prof not know who I am intimately.

commentI would suggest that the main issues you have with LSSU result more from LSSU being a poor choice for you, rather than a poor choice of school in general. Im currently finishing my PhD at one of those large state universities that you suggest people should transfer to. Theres nothing wrong with the big schools, but they definitely offer an entirely different educational experiance from a small school such as LSSU. Most of the things you're critical of, are common characteristics of small schools, especially small state universities. These weaknesses are offset by the fact that you recieve a much more individualized education than at the large universities. When done properly (as is the case in many, but not all, programs at LSSU) this is one of the better models for undergraduate education in my opinion. That said, LSSU is not the correct choic for everyone, nor is any other school. It pays to do your research before starting college, so that you get the educational experiance you're looking for. I for one, was exteremely happy with my program (environmental chemistry), and beleive that I probably got a better education at LSSU, than I would Have at my current university as an undergraduate.
responseLSSU's tuition is not higher than MSU's tuition.
Compare LSSUSave LSSU