StudentsReview :: Northern Michigan University - Extra Detail about the Comment

SAT1490
Super Brilliant
Faculty Accessibility
A
He cares more about Individual Value than the average student.
Date: Sep 09 2007
Major: Finance (This Major's Salary over time)
The staff of this university is overwhelmingly incompetent. The registrar's office has screwed up all five degree audits that they gave me. All of my friends have had similar experiences with degree audits (one friend's audit was off by 40 credits!). The transfer process was complicated and the transfer counselors, for the most part, lacked knowledge about the processes involved in actually getting credit. Furthermore, adhering to policy is far more important to them than a student's life is. The registrar's office (and the registrar herself) expressed no concern or empathy for me when I had difficulties with graduation requirements. They were not helpful, and did not suggest an alternative that is listed in my student handbook. I need an "Intro to computers" type of course, but I have worked in a computer support job for the university for the last three years, and I have been building and using computers for over 10 years. Both the registrar and my adviser seem to completely disregard all of my real-world experience, since it is irrelevant at NMU (and neither one of them thought to mention the option for advance placement by department evaluation). My adviser has also been rude and unhelpful to me recently and he even claims to not remember a meeting we had discussing this issue. I had to deal with the same issue for the same class two years ago to get admitted to the college of business, and I thought it was resolved, but it was handled improperly and nobody told me about it until now, months before graduation. Unfortunately, this problem is only the beginning. There is no communication between departments at NMU. The laptop program is handled very poorly as well. The person making the image of the software for the laptop is totally incompetent and not equipped with the necessary resources to do his job. There is virtually no testing for the laptop image at all; it is shipped out regardless of whether or not it works, and then about 4,000 students have to make do somehow. The laptops have been so screwed up for the last two years that they are virtually unusable. Wireless internet problems abound, and the way our new anti-virus program is set up makes it worse than any virus. NMU's helpdesk has seen well over 2,000 students, faculty, and staff in the first two weeks of the 2007-08 school year for issues with laptops. It has been a living hell telling people the same thing over and over again dozens of times. Supporting NMU's laptops is one of the most stressful jobs on campus - the users are angry because the laptops don't work, but at the same time, nobody in charge cares enough to actually make anything work better. If Northern Michigan University were a real business, they would have gone under years ago. The professors are mostly decent, though, with the exception of a few that should have no place teaching at a university.
Compare NMUSave NMU