StudentsReview :: Harding University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Friendly, Approachable

SAT1080
Creativity/ Innovation
B
He rated most things higher than other students did.
Date: Sep 11 2007
Major: Religion/Religious (This Major's Salary over time)
I graduated from Harding in 2004 and now work in the office of Admissions so I get to see and meet a lot of the students who are composing the freshman class every year. In doing so, I get the opportunity to reevaluate my own experience and education on a regular basis - it is my job to bring in other students so I must consistently rehash my own experiences in their recruitment.

As a student I was ignorant to how great Harding really was. I complained about the rules; rules I agreed to when I signed up to come. I made jokes at the lame cafeteria food; food that I was able to eat several times throughout the day. I shirked my work load, made tons of friends, stayed up too late, skipped and complained about having to attend chapel on a regular basis, and was amazed that other people felt worse about it than I did.

Harding is a University. It exists for educational purposes. It's goal is to educate Christians and prepare them for the work place so that they can continue to make a living for themselves while acting out on the great commission given to us by Christ. It's hard to imagine being at a state school after my experience here.

I am now well aware of where Harding needs to grow. Many reviews on this site list Harding as a conservative school not willing to budge from its simplistic views in many areas. Harding does need to grow. It needs to develop a better first year experience program. It needs to be careful about assuming that everyone is from a Christian background. It needs to make sure that they give an accurate view of the school before students enroll. And that just lists a few…

On the other hand, students need to understand a few things as well. They need to understand that Harding is doing its best to give them an incredible Christian education. This is why it exists - it's NOT a secret. If you have a problem with that then do not enroll here. They need to understand that we are always looking to make improvements to better our mission to develop Christian students. They also need to understand that doing so takes time… change of that magnitude cannot, and should not, happen over night. They need to understand that Harding offers a great deal of social activities and diversity among it's student body. Harding is not Heaven. Nor do they claim to be.

My advice: Research. Visit the campus. Don't take anyone's word for it. Experience it for yourself. Harding is not right for everyone, as much as we would like to say that it is. But you cannot make an accurate decision with only some of the facts. Come and see for yourself. Talk with the students. Ask hard questions. And if you do feel like Harding might be the place for you, come and be involved. Don't just be complacent and complain. Make a difference. If you do so, you too will love your experience.

commentI support and nelieve the admission of the type of student that is admitted to Harding University has improved greatly. This is a great post as I sat and read the others, it was one of my porblems and suggestions as what could improve with campus life. Admissions is tough , at times unforgiving work and I salute you because I think this aspecyt and quality has improved. Most students should experience Harding, there should be more collaboration between admissions and academic advisors on a student's strengths and liabilities.If you're playing intreamural sports like it's the NFL conference championjship or game six of the world series, maybe you should talk to other people. Great job admissions staff!
Harding University