StudentsReview :: California Institute of the Arts - Extra Detail about the Comment

California Institute of Technology -- Pasadena, CA

Snooty

Unhelpful

Campus Aesthetics/ Beauty
A
He cares more about Excess Competition than the average student.
Date: Nov 17 2007
Major: Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc (This Major's Salary over time)
Calarts is a crock. Fine art student don't do anything. nothing is expected of us and we gain no technical support what so ever. Teachers are too busy with their own lives to be helpful. I've gained nothing but the promise of a reputation it doesn't deserve. This school might have been great in the 70's but that was 30 years ago and now the school just lives off its success from being great then. You get your own studio, which is great, but if youre not extremely rich forget about affording the art supplies to work in it. The school doesn't help you in any way to try to help you afford any materials expect maybe for a grant where you get a 100 dollars if your lucky enough to be picked. Besides the fact that Valencia is awful. It is the most closed minded community Ive ever had the misfortune of being part of. LA might be vapid and shallow but Valencia are those things plus being boring. Forget being inspired by where you live. The school is also very expensive for what reason? I don't know because there are no sculpture facilities except if you want to cut wood. Painting is a joke too. Perhaps photography is okay but I wouldn't know because Im not in that program. Using other dept. facilities is also a difficult task too. Everything is so inaccessible. There also isn't much of a community unless you count the gallery openings, which is giant excuse to get drunk for free (if you get there early enough). Academics are a big joke as well. Im learning high school type art history b.s. and Im not challenged in any wayNo wonder you have to be a fool not to get a high pass. Most of the great artists that went here were smart enough to get out be for they graduated from this hellhole (Tim Burton, Sofia Coppola). I've been here for two years thinking it was going to get better and now in my 3rd year all I want is to transfer for my finial year. If you want to go a good art college go to RISD.

commentI think this is typical of the disillusionment experienced here. I am in a different program, but my experience has been the same as the above reviewer.
responseI remember reading this after I had enrolled for my first year at calarts.

I had hoped it wasn't true. Now I'm about to attend my third year, and I realize EVERYTHING in this post is completely spot on accurate. This school is horrible, I regret choosing it over MICA, RISD, VCU. WTF Was I thinking? Each year I heavily consider transferring, but some dumb part of me hopes things will work out, or it will get better.

PLEASE Save yourself, don't go here.

Compare CITASave CITA