StudentsReview :: The College of William and Mary - Extra Detail about the Comment

University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA

SAT1270
Super Brilliant
B
Excess Competition
She rated most things higher than other students did.
Date: Dec 07 2007
Major: Philosophy (This Major's Salary over time)
I transferred from Mary Washington. I absolutely love this place! I can't leave! The best thing is how smart everyone here is! It's great.

questionHello!

I am currently a high school senior. It is approaching the end of my senior year, and I have to decide in the next month or so where I would like to go to college. However, I am a naturally indecisive person and cannot for the life of me make a decision.

I ask this question of you because I noticed that you transferred from Mary Washington—the school that is my other top choice (besides W&M).

I would like to know why you decided to transfer to W&M from Mary Washington, if you don't mind my asking. Was it the people? The atmosphere? The academics?

This decision is very difficult for me, and I would appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks!

responseSure—no problem. The initial college decision feels very difficult. But don't worry too much because life is more flexible than you might think. I am proof that you can decide you don't like a college and successfully transfer and still have a good and academically successful and full life.

About Mary Washington. (Keep in mind I attended during the 05-06 school year. It was the only college that accepted me right out of high school.) It is a nice place. Beautiful campus. With lots of interesting classes and really stimulating, wonderful professors. But I found that there was a complete lack in the student body. I was in probably 5 different clubs—model UN, human rights club, yearbook, fencing, etc.—and I never felt cohesiveness or any type of pride. In general, the place lacked happiness. Most people I knew wanted out - either to transfer or to get married ASAP.

Furthermore, a big problem for me was in fact the gender ratio. Even though I wasn't going to school in order to get a boyfriend, I found the fact that it was mostly women very uneven. It messed up a lot of the social relationships and atmosphere. Additionally, because the UMW administration is (understandably!) trying to increase the number of male students, they let in men who score lower and do worse in school (with less ambition?). It really weakens their school cohesiveness, in my opinion. But they're trying to work on it, so it's hard to call it a terrible school for that reason alone. For me, UMW was a good school, but a bad experience.

About William and Mary. I liked this school. (I just graduated.) Sometimes people are antisocial, but there is more cohesiveness and stimulation than at UMW. Also, and perhaps very important (depending on what you want from college), is the fact that a degree from W&M just looks better in general than a degree from UMW. Just being honest… If you want to go to grad school, you're more likely to get in if you go to W&M and do well. That's how I feel…

If I were you, I'd keep those pros and cons in mind. Once you get your options lined up, you can decide what you want to do. If you don't get in to your top choice (which is what happened to me), feel bad but let any anger or resentment fuel you to do better. That's really the best advice I can give.

Feel free to contact me. My email is josephine1213 at gmail. I'd be happy to give you any information I have on W&M, UMW, and college in general.

Compare WM/CWMSave WM/CWM