StudentsReview :: George Mason University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Friendly, Helpful, Arrogant

Creativity/ Innovation
University Resource Use
B+
He cares more about Creativity/ Innovation than the average student.
Date: Dec 09 2007
Major: Undecided (This Major's Salary over time)
To start off, George Mason University is a fine academic institution. I enjoyed most of my classes, and I would not say they were any easier or more difficult than they should be. You put in the effort and you get the grades. Also, the campus is, or rather, WILL be very nice when it is completed. The school has been under construction since the second I stepped foot on campus to visit in August 05 until the day I leave, which is in less than a week from now, thank God. If you love hearing incredibly loud and annoying construction every single morning starting at 7am you will enjoy this school. You will also enjoy it if you like walking through mud and dodging heavy machinery every time you set foot outside. However, the construction will be the least of your worries if you are even remotely considering having a college social life. From the moment I was placed in an old run down dorm on the far side of campus away from the rest of the freshmen with two room mates who hadn't spoken to a girl in their lives, I knew I was in trouble. I read the reviews for Mason before I came in, and nearly every one said how horrible the social life was, and I figured since I am a fun, outgoing, nice, good looking guy I would have no problem fitting in and having fun. DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID! There truly is no social life in your future unless you are in one of the lame frats or sororities. Not only do 90% of the students go home for the weekends (serious commuter school), but the rest who stay on campus aren't down to party, and if they are, have fun getting caught by the nazi RA's and given an outrageous punishment. Also, do not be fooled by the "closeness" of DC. Mason advertises that it is a quick trip to the center of DC, which is one of the main reasons I came here. In reality, its a 15 minute car ride or 45 minute bus ride, then another 25-50 minutes on the metro. Unless you plan on making an entire day out of a trip into DC, it is not worth it. If you want to do anything fun whatsoever, you have have to either a) join a frat as I mentioned or b) make friends with kids who have houses off campus, which has its downsides. For example, unless you have a car you cannot get anywhere off campus. Even the people who live extremely close to campus are still a car ride away because of the miles of parking lot and highway that surround the campus in every direction. As I write this I am on my final stretch of days here at Mason. I finally decided to transfer after giving the school a year and a half to improve. I am going to Northeastern next semester and I thank God every day. In the end, Mason is a fine academic institution, filled with plenty of kids who simply want to study all day long and go home to their parents houses to study on the weekend. If that is your deal you will be fine. However, if you wish to have any fun whatsoever, you either need to join Greek life (even then look forward to some seriously lame parties) or be able to work miracles.
responseWhy is university life only about fun? What about learning and bettering yourself and the world you live in? I can't stand reading posts like this one. I miss the days when only smart, motivated young men and women attended institutions of higher learning.
George Mason University