StudentsReview :: California State University Monterey Bay - Extra Detail about the Comment

California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo -- San Luis Obispo, CA

Friendly

Campus Aesthetics/ Beauty
C+
Faculty Accessibility
He rated most things higher than other students did.
Date: Dec 23 2007
Major: Business - Management and Administration (This Major's Salary over time)
After my first semester here, I felt just like the majority of negative reviewers did who have posted on this board. I even tried transferring to CSU Sacramento, but due to the lack of transferable courses, also as mentioned by other reviewers, I decided I should just tough it out. And Im glad I did.

CSUMB has developed quite impressively since my fall 2004 matriculation. The base, I mean campus, was kind of creepy and weird at first. There were two abandoned military barracks smack-dab in the middle of the quad, which was odd; the technological infrastructure was a bit antiquated; and the track and athletic facilities were mostly remnants of Fort Ord days. All of that has since been changed. The two barracks are gone, the entire campus has brand new fiber optics, and the track has been renovated extensively, most notably with the addition of a multi-million dollar athletics building. The new library is less than a year from completion, and the campus “lighting issues have most assuredly been remedied.

General education academics are a joke, as pointed out by many of the first-semester reviewers. However, the business program, both lower- and upper-division, is absolutely amazing. There are professors from Harvard and USC teaching here, my accounting teacher is from Dartmouth, and the chair of the business school is from Oxford. The School of Business is most definitely THE academic force on campus. And its getting even better: theyve recently added an accounting concentration by establishing a relationship with a prominent accounting firm; the School is scheduled to move into a brand new building in two years; and the one-year-old Business Club is adding significant culture to the School.

One of CSUMBs greatest strengths is its newness and youth. I liken the school to a start-up company most of the time. Since its so new, you, as a student, have significant power to create change. It may sound trite or clich, but truly, this generation of CSUMB students will shape the future of this university. Its easy to bash the school and not do anything about it. At this school, if something really “grinds your gears, you can do something about it. The most successful students at this school are those who actively seek out ways to get involved.

So, if I had the opportunity to go to another school, would I? Nope, not now. If I left CSUMB my freshman year, I wouldnt have experienced college the way I have. The education would have been similar at CSU Sacramento, but the student-life experience wouldve been tremendously different. Im an integral part of this community, a community where my ideas are heard, and a community where I can turn my ideas into action.

commentThis person sounds like a plant. The phraseology is the same as the brochures, and the same as the teachers assure you it will be, once you get used to the total chaos and unprofessionalism that plague the campus.
commentRegarding comment above: Can you elaborate on a what a plant sounds like?

Response to StudentsReview: Thanks for your insight on your personal experience with the college. I applied there recently and wouldn't mind some additional information about the social life in the cities surrounding the campus as well as the ease of transportation around the region. Email below.

responseRegarding comment above: Can you elaborate on a what a plant sounds like?

responseWell, I'm certainly not a plant. I'm not really sure what a "plant" is, other than what the typical definition implies. Sorry if I sound like a brochure, but I'm not going to hide the fact that I'm enthusiastic about the direction the school is headed in right now. Only eight weeks left of CSUMB, then I graduate. I'm really going to miss this place!
Compare CSUMB/CSMBSave CSUMB/CSMB