StudentsReview :: Belhaven University - Extra Detail about the Comment

SafetyA-
Friendly

Super Brilliant
D-
She cares more about Surrounding City than the average student.
Date: Feb 24 2008
Major: Psychology (This Major's Salary over time)
I have been thankful for every day I've been at Belhaven. I will say that some of the professors, such as those in my department, are genuinely interested in helping motivated students succeed and grow intellectually, as well as spiritually and and an overall person. Often, I've seen professors and students eat lunch together and/or sit and have discussions with students. I myself have had great interactions, such as this, with the faculty. However, I have run across a teacher or two who, I think, are too easy and baby too much, but these are generally part-time, adjunct professors. Others, are well known on campus for being academically challenging, so it really depends on what classes you take (general, required stuff vs. advanced classes, such as genetics or physiological psychology).

The atmosphere here is very interesting, to say the least. Belhaven has a good reputation for it's art programs (art, dance, theater, creative writing, etc.), which means that there are A LOT of artistic types here. I've seen everything from mimes to guys in tights walking around at school, while I've only seen one little chemistry major floating around, thus far. =P The art people make this place interesting. There are plenty of other groups here (biology majors, business majors, psychology majors, etc.), but art definitely dominates.

Jackson, as a city, is not the safest of places and there really isn't a lot to do compared to other places. Crime is outrageous here. However, because of the college scenes in what is known as the "Fonderan" area in Jackson (Belhaven and Millsaps), there is a glimmer of hope. Fonderan has an artistic flare to it because of the college scene here.

In regard to safety in Jackson, I feel fairly safe on campus. The campus is small (students generally know each other), the school is well lit at night, and campus security is all over the place. In addition, the campus has signs everywhere to notify everyone that they are under video survellance. In other words, don't let Jackson's bad reputation scare you off from what I think is a warm, family-like, interesting school. If you want a quality education and personal growth, you can find it at Belhaven.

Compare BelhavenSave Belhaven