StudentsReview :: Harding University - Extra Detail about the Comment

Average
D-
Excess Competition
B+
He cares more about Individual Value than the average student.
Date: Apr 03 2008
Major: Art & Design Department (This Major's Salary over time)
I guess that I am like most Harding students that are not Church of Christ and probably like about half of all Harding students: I would not go there again. I blame myself for not doing research on the rules and regulations of Harding before I committed to them, but I cannot let Harding off the hook either. Although the word Christian is used constantly in their advertising, etc., They do not emphasize what makes them a "Chritian" unversity to prospective students. They don't tell you that you will spend over $3000 on Bible classes (books excluded) if you are a scince, math, englis, history, etc. major. This is required of every student. They do not tell you that you will spend hundreds of hours of your college life in mandatory worship services (chapel). By mandatory, I mean expulsion is the punishment for excessive absences. They do not list the 10 o'clock curfew in their recruiting information. They do not stress the ultra conservative dress and hair style regulations. I am not judging them for having these rules in place, just for not being upfront with a bunch of teenagers about them. Are these rules in and of themselves bad? Oh course not. But why are they not up front with them? Now onto the mandatory worship services. I considered myself religious when I got to Harding. I believed I had been saved. I had attended Church regularly for years. I was familiar with the Bible. But I had no desire to be forefed worship on a daily basis. And you can't just go and leave if you feel the service is offensive to your personal religious beliefs. They count that as a strike against you. When I attended Harding, it was 10 strikes and you are out. Thank you for your time and money, but you didn't go to our church an average of 5 days a week. Sometimes these chapels were devoted to oral prayer for the entire time (40 minutes). Another time a religion "professor" preached that all those who didn't follow the Church of Christ doctirine were hell bound (this is one I had to leave on). I will not even go into the 10 o'clock curfew for people in their early 20's. The quality of eductaion is difficult to judge: I passed all my national exams to become a teacher on the first attempt, but I don't feel it was because of the high quality of the university's professors. Harding is probably like most colleges: the quality of education is varies from teacher to teacher. Some love what they do and are great at it. Others not so much. I would say the ratio at HU was about 60/40. Anyway, I hope this helped someone outthere.

Many of the perspectives in this opinion piece are acurate however some facts are way off base. The curfew at HU is 12 midnight during the week and 1am on the weekends. Lastly, I cant imagine a student(domestic) coming to Harding and not being aware of the chapel and bible requirements. Someone just didnt do their homework.
commentI support the first respondee' on this post. Actually, the University shows and discloses that one course in Religion and Bible strudies is mandatory and is accounted for in charges during the semester. You are a faithful, cared for christian, however maybe you have struggled to share with others you feel you are Church of Christ and they feel you are not. Ridiculous, I agree. I appreciate your suggestions and posts. For schools like Harding to stay open, curfew was actually regulated and mandated by State of Arkansas, county and city executives. Life is Searcy feels crowded and can be boring at times. I'm sorry you had a bad experience.
commentSome of your comments actually helped improve the campus life. Thank you for your help and posts. Noboby graded or insulted your efforts or abilities, I think you would agree the "C " for availability of teaching staff was probably unfair. The campus phone book gives you their homeand cell phone numbers . I agree on some of the rules and policies. Than you for the help.
Harding University