StudentsReview :: The University of California - Santa Cruz - Extra Detail about the Comment

University of California -- Davis, CA

Friendly, Afraid, Broken Spirit

Helpful, Self Absorbed

Campus Maintenance
B+
She cares more about Safety than the average student.
Date: Apr 07 2008
Major: Other (This Major's Salary over time)
Santa Cruz is a beautiful place. Really it is the typical college environment I would think, however, my experience here has been incomplete.

It seems to be like a puzzle that just does not fit together. I am sad here and I've tried a lot to get involved, but I've been hitting a brick wall.

Santa Cruz lacks a sense of community. Everyone seems to be on some path that cannot be intercepted by friendship. I feel many times that everyone has found their niche except me. Perhaps I am not outgoing enough, yet even when I try to foster relationships they seem to be left as mere acquaintances and nothing ever becomes of them. This may be because the school is so spread out that once you meet someone cool or interesting you may never see them again.

I love the beach, I love the forest, and I love the banana slugs. Classes can be large, but if you make yourself known you will be enticed by the professors and they encourage and like you to introduce yourself. People here are really awesome and open, however many times they are lacking a passion about life or their major. This openness can be faulty sometimes.

For some reason, everything does not fit together and it distresses me because I believe this University has so much potential. This is just from my perspective and I am sure other students feel differently. I don't know, but I feel lost. I also think that there is no dialog between the administration and the students. Everyone is in their own world. There are not a lot of events that involve the whole University. The tree-sit is a representation of the oppressiveness and the lack of cohesiveness.

I've decided to transfer and I am sad to leave the beauty, the warrior yoga, the Kresge food co-op, and the farm behind. But sometimes when things don't stick together, you've gotta move on.

responseI'm so sorry. I'm an incoming freshman and I'm terribly sad to hear your experience was such a let down. I hope you found the perfect fit for you.
The University of California - Santa Cruz